webster twinfisher purchase decision

robertye112

Hi Guys,

I'm having a hell of a time deciding between 2 boats, would love peoples input.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kingsgrove/motorboats-powerboats/webster-twinfisher-4-3-twin-hull-yamaha-f60-4stroke-2011/1129459067

4.3 2005 with yammi 60hp 4 stroke 2011

pro's:

• custom built high sides (same freeboard as 4.9m sides). This is a custom weld done by him so probably adds nothing or negative to resale value but is nice to have as the user of the boat
  • yammie 2011 4 stroke 60hp 320 odd hours (max hp for hull in 4 stroke)
  • electric winch

cons:

• I would've loved to have a boat that can go to browns on a good day. Obviously you can't do that in a 4.3 with a 60 on the back
  • custom welded fuel tank. (maybe not a con to some, maybe a con for resale? not sure.)
  • custom welded side pocket storage  (not as clean as factory side storage pockets. not a huge deal, just thought i'd mention it)
  • missing 1 side pocket storage
  • trailer is painted in epoxy black. This doesn't bode well for resale value it screams "covered up rust"

price: I believe I could get it for $18k waiting on confirmation but that's the max i'd pay for it regardless.

---OR---

4.6m 2002 with suzuki 90hp 4 stroke 2005

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-4409950/2002-WEBSTERS-TWINFISHER-46-RUNABOUT?cr=6&psq=((Make%3D[WEBSTERS TWINFISHER]%26(((SiloType%3DDealer used boats|SiloType%3DDealer new boats)|SiloType%3DPrivate used boats)|SiloType%3DDemo and near new boats))%26Service%3DBoatsales)&pso=0&pss=Premium

pro's

• for me, I would be comfortable to take this to browns on a good day with the 90hp having enough power to get there and back even against wind.
  • everything seems to be in good nick. The guy is english and 62 years old.
  • Hydraulic steering

negatives:

• google "suzuki outboard corrosion problem" and you see that there was 1 dissimilar metal bolt which causes a lot of problems for some people which can apparently be fixed. I am waiting for comments about this from the owner but I guess regardless of what he says I'd have to get it checked and even if it's fine I'd have to get the problem rectified somehow (welding?).
  • have to tow it back down from queensland to nsw in an old rav4 which will really struggle to pull it back.
  • he doesn't want to sell the fish finder screen with it so that's another cost for me

price: I negotiated 22k for it. 

which would you get? The boat would primarily be for 2 people with a maximum of 3 and would love to fish outside the heads when it's comfortable enough for the wife not to get scared/sick.

I think overall I really want the 90hp but I'm also very scared of the nightmarish issues I see others have with the corrosion problem. I'm also lazy to travel that far from sydney.

What would you pick and why?

Cheers,

-Rob

Edited by robertye112

Gday Rob, apart from stability at rest why the decision for a multi hull? At that size how do the Websters handle offshore conditions?

As for helping with your decision, I'm no help at all cause I know furk all about small multi hulls. Sorry. :unsure:

All depends on your intended use.  If your going to spend more time offshore then go the bigger boat.  If you will be mainly inshore with the occasional trip outside I think the smaller boat looks better maintained, with a much newer motor and some nice additions such as the anchor winch.  You have some thinking to do.  Good luck with the purchase....

Dave

thanks Dave. My neighbour (he thinks he knows the most in the world about boating :blink:) says the 60 is way too slow and I wouldn't be happy with it and I'd be mad not to go with the 90.

I asked about cruising knots and max knots on both boats:

4.3 with 60 does 17 knots at 4500 rpm and 25 knots max

4.6 does 20 knots at 4kish rpm and 25 knots max with bimini up and 30 with bimini down

Either the bigger boat is that much heavier or the 6 years difference in technology is a big factor.

I think the split between offshore and inshore will be half half

Edited by robertye112

I think 25 knots in a fishing boat is plenty.  If your going to be doing a lot of offshore work, I think bigger is better.  Also bare in mind a bigger boat is more to tow, harder to store etc.  In the end, I'd be taking both boats for a run (if possible) and then make up your mind.  Good luck....

Dave

I am not an expert here at all. However I read at least 2 times recently that Cats stability would be equivalent of 1.3 length of single hull boats which should it make 4.6m Cat with more powerful engine - potentially usable in offshore.

I have a 2007 Suzuki 90 with around 450 hrs on it and have no corrosion problems at all. Ive put about 250 of those hours on it in the time i've owned it.

Offshore you'll appreciate the extra foot in length IMO as well as the larger canopy as the webster can be a little wet. The Webster draws very little water so can be used in quite shallow water and tows really well on the trailer. Other than a few dollars saving and the very real chance of corrosion with his custom weld job i dont see there is any benefit in buying the smaller of the two.

Personally i searched high and low for the 5.2 metre model when i decided to buy but just couldnt find one in my budget range

2 hours ago, New Signing said:

I have a 2007 Suzuki 90 with around 450 hrs on it and have no corrosion problems at all. Ive put about 250 of those hours on it in the time i've owned it.

Offshore you'll appreciate the extra foot in length IMO as well as the larger canopy as the webster can be a little wet. The Webster draws very little water so can be used in quite shallow water and tows really well on the trailer. Other than a few dollars saving and the very real chance of corrosion with his custom weld job i dont see there is any benefit in buying the smaller of the two.

Personally i searched high and low for the 5.2 metre model when i decided to buy but just couldnt find one in my budget range

thanks for the reply guys.

New Signing, have you replaced the steel plug or taken any action to mitigate the issue?

-Rob

I've got the 4.9 , ( 4.6) same boat , just measured differently .  Can't help u with the motor but as for the choice between the two , definatly the 4.6 .  

The 4.3 is a nice inshore or close off shore boat but I would not be keen to go too far if the weather turns nasty

Also the 4.6 can fish 3 comfortably , 3 in a 4.3 can be a squeeze

Yes , the rav may struggle but if u take it easy u should be ok , for interest that all up weight will weigh in between 900 - 1000 kg

Check the trailer has brakes fitted as rigs over 750 kg require brakes in NSW  

Your not far from my place , if u want to visit & check out my boat & chat more about the pro's & con's send me a PM

Geoff

was out on a charter yesterday who runs twin Suzuki 90's that are 10 years old and have 8000 plus hours on them and get very basic to virtually zero mainatainenece- I doubt you will have too many probs with any Jap motor

PaddyT thanks for the reply.

Thank you Geoff that's very generous of you. Hey, I owe you at least 1 full case of beer! Your comment about the trailer brakes made me ring him and ask and he said no it doesn't have brakes!!!

Why do you say that it will add up to about 900-1000kgs? looking at this:

http://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/reviews/2003/webster-46-9389

I see the hull is only 300kgs and the motor I'm guessing to be at around 150kgs. 

As u may have noticed that report was done in 2003 which is relevant for the boat u are looking at

As for the weight the 300kg is the raw hull only , u need to add the motor , trailer , & fittings .  That will bring it over the 750kg limit

I've just noticed , the 2002 model had the sponson extensions welded on , nothing wrong with that but the 2003 model they were part of the overall fabrication .

As for the brakes , u may like to check a few trailer places for the cost to fit a new coupling , axle , discs brakes & rotors .

Allowing for misc fittings & labour it may be around $2000.00.   Depending on how anxious he is to sell , perhaps the seller will drop the price

On 11/30/2016 at 5:12 PM, robertye112 said:

thanks for the reply guys.

New Signing, have you replaced the steel plug or taken any action to mitigate the issue?

-Rob

I've had a good look mate and havent notice any major corrosion issues. 

Would someone like to link me to more info on this?

On 05/12/2016 at 11:25 AM, New Signing said:

I've had a good look mate and havent notice any major corrosion issues. 

Would someone like to link me to more info on this?

New Signing all you have to do is type "suzuki outboard corrosion problem" into google, but here is one of many links anyway:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/186112-Suzuki-4-stroke-engine-holder-problem-serious-corrosion

I hear not all of them have the issue, I rang up a marine shop in SE QLD and spoke with their head mechanic there. They are a suzuki dealership so they deal with plenty of suzuki's and he says he has only ever seen a couple of motors have the issue so according to him it's a rare occurrence.

thought i'd drop an update.

As I called to confirm a final date and was bout to book tickets to QLD to pick up the boat, it was sold! so i'm back to the drawing board.

What boat would you say is more seaworthy?

$26000 a webster 4.6 with a 60 yammie 4 stroke on the back? 

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-4424174/2004-WEBSTERS-TWINFISHER-46-RUNABOUT?cr=10&psq=((Make%3D[WEBSTERS TWINFISHER]%26(((SiloType%3DDealer used boats|SiloType%3DDealer new boats)|SiloType%3DPrivate used boats)|SiloType%3DDemo and near new boats))%26Service%3DBoatsales)&pso=0&pss=Premium

or

$32000 a surtees 4.85 workmate with a 60 yammie 4 stroke on the back

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dundathu/tinnies-dinghies/boat-for-sale/1127141546

I've been in a 4.6 before and it felt great but I don't have much experience to compare them with. I did notice the hard pounding if they got airborn off the back of 1 meter swell at botany bay heads which makes me wonder what the "soft ride" of a surtees would feel like and how much stability would I lose? 

Edited by robertye112

The Webster is a nice boat at a reasonable price but I notice it has the walk through at the rear which means no LBTank.

Also , I tested the 60 hp 4S ,  it went well but  felt it was a little underpowered if u have a load on board or trying to drive over a wave in a trailing sea so I opted for the 70 2S