Morning rock spin session

REELCRAZY

Went for a quick spin session today off the rocks in eastern suburbs, was quite busy at first light when I arrived. Chose an empty higher ledge away from the crowds, productive spot just a bit harder to land fish. 15 minutes in and a hook up on a stick bait ( Maria loaded in sardine). Good fight on 30lb, some deep runs, but I keep him off the reef. Goes 65 and skinny. I keep him for sashimi. 

IMG_0959.JPGLots of bait moving around within casting distance so flick some smaller hard bodies but no takers. Eventually hook into a decent salmon that spits the hooks on the first jump. Call it at 8.00 am. 

A great morning off the stones with perfect conditions. Still no Bonnies around  but good to see the kings starting to fire up. 

Gee he is skinny ! But perfect for sashimi ...good fish off the stones.  Do u prefer stickbaits over poppers at that time of the morning? I  usually fish for kings from a boat using live bait, poppers, plastics however I work all over the eastern subs so I lwill chuck the spin gear in the ute and try and repeat your effort.

3 hours ago, Ribs said:

Gee he is skinny ! But perfect for sashimi ...good fish off the stones.  Do u prefer stickbaits over poppers at that time of the morning? I  usually fish for kings from a boat using live bait, poppers, plastics however I work all over the eastern subs so I lwill chuck the spin gear in the ute and try and repeat your effort.

Every day is different mate. I mix it up with poppers, stickbaits, plastics, live bait until I find the fish. Actually very small fish for this spot. Feb/March should see fish to a meter and above!

2 hours ago, jackiean said:

great catch! what rod were you using ?

Shimano t curve revolution coastal 7-9 kg, with a shimano sustain 6000 with 30lb braid and leader. Great light spinning outfit!

Edited by REELCRAZY

22 hours ago, Ribs said:

I don't think a skinny fish is perfect for sashimi. I would think the opposite is true. A healthy fat fish would be primo.

Any skinny fish flesh would be lacking in flavour and probably poor texture as well.

I'm still jealous though I threw my tackle box at the ocean on Sunday morning and didn't get a touch.