Sydney LBG with lures

Ledge

Hey Raiders.

Long time spectator, first post I've started though.

Given kings are the only reliable gamefish in or around Sydney, I'm wondering if anyone has had much success catching kings off the rocks using lures.

I have been rockfishing for about 3 years now and have got to the point where I can reliably catch a feed, but I haven't caught any 'trophies' yet. By which I mean a fish approaching the magic metre.

So this summer I'm going to forget about the table and start targeting big kings. 

I've caught roughly 10 kingfish over the last 3 summers using pilchards, but they were all undersized so I assume big kings don't like pillies. Livebait is the obvious choice but holding a rod with a balloon bobbing around for hours on end can get boring, and sometimes there's just no livies around the ledge I'm fishing. 

So, what success have you fine people had with catching big fish from the rocks with lures IN OR NEAR SYDNEY? What lures do you use and what have you caught?

Or is there another viable alternative to livebait? Do whole dead squid or slimies from the seafood wholesalers work or are they too old/washed with fresh water?

I'm starting this journey on Sunday so I will share my experiences, but I'd love some advice to speed up the learning process!

Cheers, Ledge.

Edited by Ledge

Caught heaps over the years- my main "home" ledge was on the Nthn beaches and was very tough to land a king bigger than 5 kg but that was back in the day of spinning with 20lb mono. Best lures i found were big white metals usually Raiders, poppers, GT Ice Creams (Richter stick baits) BUT best option is spinning with garfish, outfishes lures in general (except maybe the GT Icecream) by about 5:1- got to be seagar though- the ones with the red tips on their beaks

Thanks PaddyT that's great advice. I've seen those GT Icecream lures at my local tackle shop so I'll give them a try. Which model lure? There's a bunch... cone, needle, flatface... I assume white colour is best. Might try spinning gars this Sunday as well though I worry that the gang hooks will be too weak and bend under the load of a big king?

use Mustad 7766 pattern hooks - also know as Tarpon hooks- normal gang hooks are too soft and they are offset so your bait will spin. The GT Icecreams I used the 90gm models , occasionally the 120's I would usually cast them and then hold the rod tip up high and get the lure skipping at a slow medium pace- white is fine

You can spin while you have a live bait out (most platforms have rod holders in them). Also if you spin up a frigate mackeral big kingies really go for them (even if they are dead).

I hooked quite a few kingies spinning for bonito on Rapala CD's. Landing them was a different matter, though. These days with braided lines you have a better chance.

1 hour ago, kingfishbig said:

You can spin while you have a live bait out (most platforms have rod holders in them). Also if you spin up a frigate mackeral big kingies really go for them (even if they are dead).

I hooked quite a few kingies spinning for bonito on Rapala CD's. Landing them was a different matter, though. These days with braided lines you have a better chance.

Thanks mate, I have a few of the new XXXrap 14s so will give them a go as well.

Out of curiosity, how would you rig up a dead frigate?

I used a 2 hook rig (large hooks obviously). One through the nose and one towards the tail. I uses to make 1 or 2 slashes through the sides with a knife  which seems to make the bait more attractive.  

You will need a substantial float or balloon.  

Edited by kingfishbig

Guest Guest123456789

There is an old saying that one king of the stones is worth 10 in the boat and I tend to agree. Last summer I saw 4 legal kings caught off the stones, not one broke the magical metre mark. Contrast this with I'm guessing 50 undersized rats, many of which I caught and released. I didn't catch one legal size king, though I had a handful between 60 and 64cm.

What I will say though is the spots I mostly fish are spinning ledges. No one really uses bait or live bait. There are other  land based spots where you can live bait and more legal kings are caught.

IMO the best lure is usually a white 5 inch jerk shad on a 1/2 jig head, followed by a 65gram blue and black spanyid raider. If it's clear and flat an 80ish gram halco rooster popper pilchard colour. I've recently found white and Fluoro coloured squid skirts with sinkers and a hook work well also.

if I was joining you on your quest to catch THEONEKING (hobbit style), I'd find remote locations where you can both live bait and spin. I've done it before, it's challenging as when you hook up you have to put your other rod into the rod holder, bring in the other line, then fight the fish but doable. I'd also focus on catching live bait and fresh dead baits and where needed fishing with portable live bait tanks. Id also burley the crap out of the area and pick conditions where I could fish for extended periods.

My 2 cents - good luck!!!

Cheers,

Luke

Hey man, I love chasing kingies as well. I usually combine Live baiting and lure fishing, its very doable. You should try and spin Garfish. I have caught many kingies spinning gars. If you buy quality hooks and swivels, your gang hooks should land most fish. Live baiting is usually better( at least for me) but you have to put the hours. If there is no bait at one spot I usually try a second spot. there are a few consistent spots around Sydney to catch bait. I also use poppers, stick bait, metal lures. I really enjoy how graphic using poppers can be. I have not broken the meter mark using poppers yet but I hope I do it this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69qtNPbb-70

The above link shows you a way to rig and present your gars, at 12:40 Alex demonstrate how to do it. I hope this helps.