new boat to me test and it leaks

jimg1au

Ok took the new to me boat out onto lake Illawarra Sunday mid morning meet with a stiff s/w wind knew this was going to happen so launched in the north of the lake.the boat is a quinine 4.5mtr reef raider old but in good condition I thought when I bought it.down size from my 5.2 viking

After adjusting the rollers in the drive way at home came off trailer very well first plus

Starting the 50hp tohatsu was not easy but I think I flooded it got going anyway another plus it goes

Ride was more bumpy than the viking but its alloy so not too bad over all

Sounder works great and full of marks from foster 2 owners ago another plus

Three hours on the water drifting in a meter of water behind an island landed one flathead  ok first fish my brother caught it

Decided to go home via the front of the island in the wind boat was a little sluggish nose up a lot we didn’t get wet though in a c/c

Back at the ramp boat goes on trailer well but I knew I was winding it on

Couldn’t undo the bungs so got spanner and took them out WELL about 30-40 ltrs of water poured out not good as I looked for ages under the boat b4 I bought it its not bad as 2 previous owner for recoed the whole rig new motor  in 2007 its not bad on the eye BUGGER

Get home and wash the boat run the motor starting first go every time after the first try.well the boat had salt water in it so I start to fill the hull from the inside(tank water) we look under neath cant see any thing no drips at all except for the back which I thought was run off.

The drips kept running out so under close inspection I find the lhs bung pop rivet was broken and water was leaking out a lot when you moved it even more come out. Problem found

Now what is the best way to fix this repop rivet the bungs back in or use s/s bolts and nuts  my eng mate tells me this is the only way and use heaps of duralac anticorrosive compound

What are your thoughts

1 hour ago, jimg1au said:

Ok took the new to me boat out onto lake Illawarra Sunday mid morning meet with a stiff s/w wind knew this was going to happen so launched in the north of the lake.the boat is a quinine 4.5mtr reef raider old but in good condition I thought when I bought it.down size from my 5.2 viking

After adjusting the rollers in the drive way at home came off trailer very well first plus

Starting the 50hp tohatsu was not easy but I think I flooded it got going anyway another plus it goes

Ride was more bumpy than the viking but its alloy so not too bad over all

Sounder works great and full of marks from foster 2 owners ago another plus

Three hours on the water drifting in a meter of water behind an island landed one flathead  ok first fish my brother caught it

Decided to go home via the front of the island in the wind boat was a little sluggish nose up a lot we didn’t get wet though in a c/c

Back at the ramp boat goes on trailer well but I knew I was winding it on

Couldn’t undo the bungs so got spanner and took them out WELL about 30-40 ltrs of water poured out not good as I looked for ages under the boat b4 I bought it its not bad as 2 previous owner for recoed the whole rig new motor  in 2007 its not bad on the eye BUGGER

Get home and wash the boat run the motor starting first go every time after the first try.well the boat had salt water in it so I start to fill the hull from the inside(tank water) we look under neath cant see any thing no drips at all except for the back which I thought was run off.

The drips kept running out so under close inspection I find the lhs bung pop rivet was broken and water was leaking out a lot when you moved it even more come out. Problem found

Now what is the best way to fix this repop rivet the bungs back in or use s/s bolts and nuts  my eng mate tells me this is the only way and use heaps of duralac anticorrosive compound

What are your thoughts

Drill the existing rivets out using a suitable drill bit,clean up bung/bunghole with acetone,apply sikaflex sealant and reinstall using alloy rivets.

To make undoing the bungs easier in future,smear a dab of Vaso on the bungs O ring.

Cheers.

+1 for using blind rivets, easily available from a store like bunnies and the likes.

Also check the O-rings on the bungs while you are at it.

I chased what I thought was a hull leak for ages and the culprit was a dry and cracked O-ring on one of the bungs.

Cheers

Choicebro

I think your mate was on right track re using heaps of duralac anticorrosive compound on whatever you use regardless if you use bolts or rivets.  Nuts and bolts are fiddly and takes 2 people but best to use 316 stainless.  If using rivets get them from boating shop to ensure correct grade of metals used for marine aluminium.  Also use good neutral silicon to seal bung to hull.  If going to this trouble anyway, I would install a new bung myself.