What have I missed out on?!

mtlg

Hi Raiders,

Before anything else, it's my first time posting here, but thank you all for all the great content in this forum, it has been helping out a lot in my fishing learning!

But now to the business... Today I lost something big and I'm puzzled as to what I missed out on. I was hoping someone could shed some light and maybe give advice as to what I should do in the future if in a similar situation.

I put some lines out at Pittwater today around a marina, and to my surprise I hooked onto something strong! From the moment it took my bait it was taking line from reel (the drag was set to very low), once I increased the drag the line taking diminished a little only for a sudden burst of speed. As suddenly as it started it stopped moving, but the fish wasn't gone, I was simply unable to reel it in.

The line was about 30-50m away from me at a depth close to 15m (felt as if it was at the bottom). I spent a good 10 minutes trying to reel it in, but it felt like it only moved when it wanted to (taking more line out), not when I attempted to lift the rod! With the frustration and inexperience, I slowly started to increase the drag while attempting to get it to move, until eventually my line just snapped. Sad day!

Anyway... I was using a 20lb braid with a 30lb leader on a 10kg rod. I don't have much experience in fishing in saltwater, but if I had to guess I'd say I hooked a stingray (I also coincidentally saw a huge one flying under my boat while durring my "battle").

Any ideas as to what it could have been and what I could have done differently? Should I be using heavier gear for fishing at Pittwater?

Cheers,

Marcelo

I like the humor!

And no, I did not catch Australia, I was anchored to a buoy and it actually took a fair bit of line multiple times. Not saying that this never happened though...

Thank you for the replies