Wild cod country

The cod bug had bitten again after successful trips and it was time to check out a new place. The gorges of the Namoi river was our destination of choice and after months of planning we set off in my Land Rover and my brother steves big Nissan and the drive wasn't tough but 60klms of dirt road didn't help. The place was awesome with a great house to stay in overlooking the river. We quickly rigged up and swano got a cod first cast (they're on) and while not big fish there was enough of them to keep us all entertained. I had a pretty heavy fall the first day and it just goes to show how easy it is to get banged up if you misjudge your jump. The gang was Steve, Swano,John dory and yours truly. We had a ball and Dave scored his first ever cod on a surface rat ... well done mate. There were some hairy moments with some type of nocturnal animal but a good set of ear phones stopped the frightening noises ? Thanks for a great few days fellas as I never stopped laughing all week. One sour note was I had a micro sleep at 120 klms an hour and only the ripple strip woke me. Be very careful on long drives and stop if you feel tired. BIG LESSON LEARNEDIMG_0396.JPGIMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0388_thumb_JPG_6566731aa55f01f32f4534eb1147b3a0.jpgIMG_0417_thumb_JPG_f22ace27447ab1966c9860bca0e0f0ed.jpgIMG_0424_thumb_JPG_96759be2e4b5cc0104d5cda6269d9154.jpgIMG_0438_thumb_JPG_e5bf50d5eefdee730592811dd313528e.jpg

Yep another awesome trip.Thanks to Stewy,Steve & Dave (John Dory). The place was pristine and although it was hard work getting to the holes and extracting a fish it was worth every minute, so we put in a real solid effort every day. In between their were some Truly hilarious moments. Steve's ongoing battle with a noisy bird  and his documentary on the wildlife. Dory the explorer river crossing (there is a video). My skinny legs and Stewy just being Stewy, all providing comic relief.

Was rapt to get my first cod on the surface,4 of them falling for a Jackal Pompadour. We landed at least 50 cod for the trip with Stewy thinking that a few of them could be Trout Cod. Most of the fish were taken on spinnerbaits(purple & white,black & red) from pretty skinny water. Steve cracked a great 60cm model on a Stumpjumper from probably the deepest hole on the river.

I was basically in the middle of a conversation with Stewy when he had his micro sleep which goes to show just how easy it can happen.

Cheers Deano

5 hours ago, swano said:

Yep another awesome trip.Thanks to Stewy,Steve & Dave (John Dory). The place was pristine and although it was hard work getting to the holes and extracting a fish it was worth every minute, so we put in a real solid effort every day. In between their were some Truly hilarious moments. Steve's ongoing battle with a noisy bird  and his documentary on the wildlife. Dory the explorer river crossing (there is a video). My skinny legs and Stewy just being Stewy, all providing comic relief.

Was rapt to get my first cod on the surface,4 of them falling for a Jackal Pompadour. We landed at least 50 cod for the trip with Stewy thinking that a few of them could be Trout Cod. Most of the fish were taken on spinnerbaits(purple & white,black & red) from pretty skinny water. Steve cracked a great 60cm model on a Stumpjumper from probably the deepest hole on the river.

I was basically in the middle of a conversation with Stewy when he had his micro sleep which goes to show just how easy it can happen.

Cheers Deano

Great report guys. Good to see that you all survived the trip. It is so easy to nod off while driving, you're very lucky to be able to comment on the experience. Trout Cod (Blue nosed Cod) are quite easy to differentiate from Murray Cod in that their top lip protrudes past the bottom one, they have distinct spotted pattern, as against a continuous pattern on MC and they have a black line that goes through their eyes. Cheers, BN

1 hour ago, dan1000 said:

Nice to see you listened to the advice when you came in the store Stewy! ;)
How was the water level when you went up?

Pretty good running but dropping fast and thanks for the heads up

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:31 PM, luderick -angler said:

Good going lads some nice fish there and looks like there's been some good recruitment in the system judging by the size of some of those fish! Did you see any paired up at all? 

Didn't see any paired up royce

Nice post Stewie

Steve and I put runs on the the board but batted at 9 and 10 down the order.

You and dean are gun fisho's and deserve the results for the efforts put in.

Been home for four days now and the soreness of clambering over rocks and swimming across the river etc has hit home and still sore.

I rate that trip as top shelf facilities, top shelf people, top shelf fishing! Thanks to all for a great few days.

Dave

Looks like an absolutely gorgeous place to spend a few days out in the wild. Some cracking fish, those cod really are beautiful creatures.

Excellent photos/report, well done guys!

@swordfisherman Mate you weren't at Balmoral in the last couple of weeks trying out a new lure? Either it was you or your long lost twin, I wasn't too sure!

Stay safe on the roads!

38 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Cheers mate they may have already done their thing in the Namoi! See many wriggle sticks? ??

I could'nt believe  we never seen one only skinks,frogs and turtles

3 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

Looks like an absolutely gorgeous place to spend a few days out in the wild. Some cracking fish, those cod really are beautiful creatures.

Excellent photos/report, well done guys!

@swordfisherman Mate you weren't at Balmoral in the last couple of weeks trying out a new lure? Either it was you or your long lost twin, I wasn't too sure!

Stay safe on the roads!

Wasn't me my good man but he must have had an unfortunate accident to look like me

6 minutes ago, swordfisherman said:

I could'nt believe  we never seen one only skinks,frogs and turtles

And Stevens bird

I saw a fresh evidence their being there a few times but didn't sight any.

Edited by Johndory

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:23 AM, swordfisherman said:

The cod bug had bitten again after successful trips and it was time to check out a new place. The gorges of the Namoi river was our destination of choice and after months of planning we set off in my Land Rover and my brother steves big Nissan and the drive wasn't tough but 60klms of dirt road didn't help. The place was awesome with a great house to stay in overlooking the river. We quickly rigged up and swano got a cod first cast (they're on) and while not big fish there was enough of them to keep us all entertained. I had a pretty heavy fall the first day and it just goes to show how easy it is to get banged up if you misjudge your jump. The gang was Steve, Swano,John dory and yours truly. We had a ball and Dave scored his first ever cod on a surface rat ... well done mate. There were some hairy moments with some type of nocturnal animal but a good set of ear phones stopped the frightening noises ? Thanks for a great few days fellas as I never stopped laughing all week. One sour note was I had a micro sleep at 120 klms an hour and only the ripple strip woke me. Be very careful on long drives and stop if you feel tired. BIG LESSON LEARNEDIMG_0396.JPGIMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0388_thumb_JPG_6566731aa55f01f32f4534eb1147b3a0.jpgIMG_0417_thumb_JPG_f22ace27447ab1966c9860bca0e0f0ed.jpgIMG_0424_thumb_JPG_96759be2e4b5cc0104d5cda6269d9154.jpgIMG_0438_thumb_JPG_e5bf50d5eefdee730592811dd313528e.jpg

Nice adventure boys.  Great pics.

I gave the cod a go last year while I was in Dubbo in the Macquarie River but didn't have any luck.  We only got bass and some shrimps.  But was a great family trip.