Blackfish/Rockfishing reel

Wellzy94

Hi, Raiders!

I'm getting a blackfishing/rockfishing rod in early january (10'6" 2-piece) and am currently sorting out the rest of the gear to match. Hoping to keep the cost of rod+reel under $300 total, and was wondering what reel you guys would recommend? I'd prefer to not go with an Alvey (mainly due to lack of experience casting with one). After the cost of the rod and line I want, I've got about $100 to play with for the reel.

Mate to be honest go 12 foot for a rock rod or a tad shorter a Snyder cr4136 or Alvey CP blackfish rod these can double up as great bream and whiting rods another option is the mag bream from snyder. Learn to cast an albey and you won't go wrong the 475 stainless back sidecars will see you cover most bases. Otherwise a good baitrunner style reel in a 2500 or 3000

IMHO a 10ft 6 is too short off the rocks I look at this from a safety factor and also cause I can be fishing up to 12 feet with a fixed float  a convenience thing. My longest rock rod for luderick comes in at 13ft 6inches!

Edited by luderick -angler

56 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Mate to be honest go 12 foot for a rock rod.

IMHO a 10ft 6 is too short off the rocks I look at this from a safety factor and also cause I can be fishing up to 12 feet with a fixed float  a convenience thing.

What LA said . .

I prefer a centrepin for rock fishing, I believe it is much easier to keep contact with your float in the surge.

They are dead easy to cast, hardly took me any practice to get the basic hang of it.

Just stop the reel spinning when the float hits the water!

Just now, Burger said:

What LA said . .

I prefer a centrepin for rock fishing, I believe it is much easier to keep contact with your float in the surge.

They are dead easy to cast, hardly took me any practice to get the basic hang of it.

Just stop the reel spinning when the float hits the water!

I'm taking a look now. What do you mean by centrepin (I know nothing about Alveys)?

They are reels with a spindle (pin) through the centre of the reel! :D

Google up Alvey blackfish reels and they will come up, I think LA is referring to the 475AE model.

Have a look at Blackfish Anglers post, he has one of the Alvey models in his photo's

I think one or more of the models can be turned sideways for easier casting, though apparantly that leads to line twist after a while.

Edited by Burger

You can get the 475 in side cast or straight centre pin!  The side cast will give you more options for other species. The 455b is not my ideal option it's more of a mooching style reel rather than a pin! If you want a true cemtrepin look at a second hand grice and young Avon royal mk3. Or for more modern Vivtex reels in South Africa who do the eagle series of centre pins 

Edited by luderick -angler

As others have suggested here I'd go with the Alvey blackfish reels or a straight centrepin. They really are the perfect tool for the job at hand and can also be used for many other species you'd be fishing for on the rocks.

I'm still learning to throw a fly/centrepin cast so most of the time just do a sidecast which works fine, and with an appropriate swivel you shouldn't have too much trouble with line twist. I did get a lot of twist during the first couple of outings but once I had the hang of the reel (and holding onto the line/spool) I simply snipped off the twisted section and now find I don't get much twist at all.

Learning to cast an Alvey can be a painful process if you're aiming to lob baits out past the breakers in the surf but if your target is blackfish you'll mostly just be dropping it out in front of you, so no problems there.

Took a couple of sessions to get used to but I am extremely happy with my purchase and can't recommend these reels highly enough for this sort of fishing. I find it much easier to hold the tension on a fish, tire it out and bring it in subdued and ready for the net that any threadline reel. Of course a true centrepin is a better option, but these are a bit harder to come by and require some casting skills.

@luderick -angler I'm interested as to why you suggest a baitrunner-style reel for the threadline option? Is this so you might set the second drag to freespool to allow for drift and surge?

Let us know what you go for!

My blackfish rod is 10 foot 6 and I use a pencil float with a shimano hyperloop 4000 reel.

The reel was about $30 and I've caught a few blackfish now. I've not tried off the rocks

but land based at the Entrance.

Another reel that I like the look off is the LT40 or 60 Fin Nor. That will set you back around $100

i have an alvey but not used it much ;-)

The reason that I went with the above is thats what a blackfish guy, who set up my rod got for me.

All up, it was about $90 plus line

An update, now that christmas excitement and family gatherings are over, I actually got given an Alvey for Christmas! Got a 455B, with the graphite backing. I've also ordered some Siglon Fine Float line to spool it with, which got delivered today.

Hi Fellas;

Personally I do not like 2 piece rods off the rocks.

Remember a 1 piece rod is a very good arm extension if anybody goes in the drink.

I know they are antiques now  but I have and use a Sportex 662 for normal blackfish and a Sportex 541 if there are any pigs around.

Both these blanks are in the old 12 -13 foot range.

Regarding reels< I have both the centre pin and sidecast Alveys. both excellent.

Over the years I have worn out (read corroded0 About 5 Avon Royals.

Magic reel but the salt does finally get to them whatever you do.

I believe there is a chap up the NSW North Coast (Kempsey comes to mind) that makes a replica of an Avon  Royal in corrosion resistant alloy.

Only seen a couple of them but they are a beautiful job. Not cheap mind but your Great Grand kids would be still using it.

Hope this bit of info is of use.

Cheers.

Oldfella.

33 minutes ago, Oldfella said:

Hi Fellas;

Personally I do not like 2 piece rods off the rocks.

Remember a 1 piece rod is a very good arm extension if anybody goes in the drink.

I know they are antiques now  but I have and use a Sportex 662 for normal blackfish and a Sportex 541 if there are any pigs around.

Both these blanks are in the old 12 -13 foot range.

Regarding reels< I have both the centre pin and sidecast Alveys. both excellent.

Over the years I have worn out (read corroded0 About 5 Avon Royals.

Magic reel but the salt does finally get to them whatever you do.

I believe there is a chap up the NSW North Coast (Kempsey comes to mind) that makes a replica of an Avon  Royal in corrosion resistant alloy.

Only seen a couple of them but they are a beautiful job. Not cheap mind but your Great Grand kids would be still using it.

Hope this bit of info is of use.

Cheers.

Oldfella.

I'm with you on the old Sportex I use either a 662, 663, or 3902 great rods that a lot of people want now! I found the old Trudex to be pretty tough in the salt. 

I am switching to Alvey side caster for light rock bait fishing as my spin reel is  not so smooth after the recent high swell night rock fishing session. Yesterday I was SP casting and trolling with modified Alvey  for 1.5  hour from Yak.  Line twist was becoming  an issue  at the end even with 2  swivels, however I do not expect many casts for intended bait fishing.

Alvey  Blackfish reel 455B XL  $60

or any egg beater reel will do Wellzy94,go with whatever reel you are most comfortable with.

Jarvis Walker ,  Aurora Ocean Blackfish rod $40

Nice setup

at the end of the day its the line,float,hook set up that counts the most but this is the rod and reel I use for Blackfishing off the rocks,you will have to search on the internet where to get them,I had to get mine posted from QLD.

Just remember bro you only need to drop your float into the wash zone and let it drift out or around where you want ,hardly any casting involved,let the float drift out or around with the current,no need to cast out.To be honest with you I find an egg beater type reel to be the most fun Black fishing,remember Blackfish like the conditions to be a bit rough off the rocks and in most cases around high tide is prime time,so this combination off the rocks you tread a thin line between safe to fish and too dangerous to fish because of this combination of favoured conditions the black fish like,so becareful,your safety is first priority,the fish is second,many times I have had to loose fish,rather than get washed in off the rocks on days when one just pops up out of the blue over the ledges.

$_35.JPG

rods-jw-aurora-rods_2.jpg

Edited by D.G
Spelling

Hi,

Been watching this topic for a while and decided to have a say. Been fishing for luderick since 1970, mostly off the rocks but over the last 10 years or so inside Tuggerah Lakes, always from the shore.

Rod: as long as it's got enough give in the top and enough stick in the lower two thirds so that you can manoeuvre a fish to land it you're on the money. I've got a few rods going atm. All are two piece rods though I used to always use a one piece. I don't think it matters one way or the other except that the two piece is much easier to transport. You tend to stand around a while holding the rod so the weight of your outfit is important. Off the rocks maybe a bit longer and a bit heavier in the action remembering that a fish will use the waves to lunge to escape and a responsive tip is important.

Reel: I would not use anything other than a centrepin. I've tried the other types: sidecast and threadline and for mine, the centrepin gives you much greater control and also the ability to let line out instantly when the fish lunges in close to shore.

That being said, there are times landbased where the ability to cast a long way is needed and though a good centrepin user can cast a fair way, a threadline or sidecast gives you more distance. But I'll stick to the centrepin.

There's plenty of good rods and reels on the market. My current go to rod cost me $60 at a local tackle store and it's a beauty.

Tackle: I use 12 to 15lb mono mainline which I grease with vaseline before I fish. I tried braid but didn't like it. Generally use a running float but a fixed float is OK as long as you don't have to cast too far or set the depth too deep. My lead comes down onto the swivel or ring (no line twist issues with a centrepin) and 8lb fluorocarbon trace about 40cm long. I tend to rety hooks as the trace becomes abraded through use and so start with a long trace and shorten it as needed.

Casting: I learned on a Steelite reel and found that the best way is to hold the rod slightly forward with a finger on the spool to stop the line. Next, bring the rod back and release the finger on the reel holding the line dead so that it begins to come out a split second before I bring the rod forward to cast the rig. try just casting a short distance till you get the feel of it then it's basically pretty easy.

I use the same setup fishing for flatties but with a long shank hook for the poddy to drift it along the channels on the ebbing tide.

A couple of the men round here, who do very well on the flatties, use a centerpin but no float and just a little lead to get the poddy near the bottom as the tide runs out moving your bait. I just like float fishing: it keeps me really interested.

KB

Good on you mate, plenty of good advice given and recieved in this post. You will catch plenty of fish on that gear. Try to avoid using the sidecast function on your reel though, practice learning to cast in centrepin mode only, takes some time but completely worth it.

Matt

Just now, macman said:

Good on you mate, plenty of good advice given and recieved in this post. You will catch plenty of fish on that gear. Try to avoid using the sidecast function on your reel though, practice learning to cast in centrepin mode only, takes some time but completely worth it.

Matt

I assume this is to avoid line twist that occurs when using the sidecast? Does a swivel completely negate this from happening, or is it still possible even with a swivel in the rig?

I plan to take it down to the park this weekend and practise with just a sinker tied to the end, to get the hang of casting (hopefully) without the sidecast.

Yes, if you continually use the sidecast to cast you WILL get line twist especially when float fishing. Not a big deal if you use mono and you spool up with plenty of line and you are happy to sacrifice 10 metres or so after each couple of trips, but a pain if you are using expensive floating mono. I used an Alvey sidecast for years, it was handy when you needed to cast a float a bit further. Now I only use a centrepin and have just improved my casting over the years. Most times you don't need to cast far. I fished on Sunday last and was dropping the float at my feet and it was moving into a 30 metre drift. This is actually pretty common. But there are circumstances where you may need to cast 20 metres or so, its possible with a centrepin but takes some practise.

Matt

• 4 years later...