Wednesday off Sydney & a First

GordoRetired

After watching the weather decided that Wednesday was looking the best for a while so dragged my teenage son out of bed early, well early for him at 6.30am, loaded up the boat and headed out.

1st Stop was Iggie's reef just off Curl Curl, despite the low wind forecast there was a breeze which had the water as sloppy as hell, so after bouncing around there for a hour with Zero bites decided to try elsewhere. Next stop was broken ground, again the sea was sloppy but at least we started to get a few bites, unfortunately mainly from Sargent Baker, however did boat a decent sized Morwong.

By now it was late morning and my boy was starting to feel a little crook with all the bouncing around, we were only in a 4.9m Quinnie. So was headed in to my favourite  Flathead drift off Manly.

Although there was still some chop the water was a lot calmer so fishing became a whole lot more comfortable. Down went the pillies on paternoster rigs and then I rigged up a Squidgy on a light rod. If you have seen comments from me previously you will know that I have Never caught anything on soft plastics but I still try.....

Well the unbelievable happened, drifting along with me working the plastic and BANG, I hooked up. Well I was so surprised that I nearly had a heart attack, I mean Nothing ever bites my plastics.... After a short fight I pull up a nice, just under size, Snapper. Remember I was on my favourite Flathead drift! ! ! !     I was over the moon, finally caught a fish on SP's.. Ye Ha.

Then, around 10 minutes later, the rod was sitting in the holder as I figured that the motion of the boat would have the SP bouncing around nicely, and over it bends. This time it felt heavy and after a short fight up comes a 45cm Flathead. Now not convinced that I will abandon bait for SP's just yet as overall bait put 5 more nice Flatties in the boat but I am encouraged to go and buy another heap of SP's and keep at it.

We also caught a couple of Trevally, 1 we used as bait and the other went back, seemed that the Flathead like slabs of Trevally as we caught more on the Trevally than we did on Pillies.

Over all a fun day out, the Flathead made for a lovely dinner and I can at last say that I have caught  fish on SP's.

Merry Christmas Raiders.

Edited by GordoRetired
Forget to say merry christmas

1 minute ago, Raymondo said:

Nothing better than the take on a plastic or jig, so aggressive. The only problem now is your bank account as it decreases while you stock up on plastics. ?

I hear you  on the $$$$$

I reckon that the flathead yesterday cost me a fortune after investing in a couple of real light rods, a Penn and a Shimano reel. 6lb braid, SP's and jig heads... I hate to think how much :unsure:

Also been buying a few light jig's recently so be interested to see what I can get on those. :)

Gordo

Well done getting your first (2) fish on SP! I do a bit of flathead drifting when I go to the south coast and had success using a paternoster rig but swapping one of the standard hooks for a worm-hook and put on a wriggly tail SP about 6 inches long. I've caught just as many fatties on the SP as the hook with bait.

Happy Christmas and happy fishing

Phll

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great report Gordo! But your being a bit sneaky there. You can only count one fish on sp as you were actively fishing for it! Lol. It's a great way to target fish and sometimes the motion of the ocean is all you need! :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thats it, I am devastated, with just a few key strokes you have halved my lifetime total captures on SP's.... I think I will go and sit in a corner and cry now... :(

Great job on the fish! I wasn't a fan of sp's either until middle of this year and now they are my favourite. Went flicking plastics at my favourite flathead spot yesterday and brought a 70cm flatty to the side. Don't have any pics as he spat me off just as I was getting the net! Devastated! Anyway good job on the catch. 

2 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Thats it, I am devastated, with just a few key strokes you have halved my lifetime total captures on SP's.... I think I will go and sit in a corner and cry now... :(

Sorry mate! Only joking. At the end of the day, what did you catch it on? A soft plastic!!!  But there's something special about working the sp and feeling the bite,  striking and your on! You also find there are less pickers and unwanted by catch! Good luck on your next trip and merry Xmas! 

37 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Sorry mate! Only joking. At the end of the day, what did you catch it on? A soft plastic!!!  But there's something special about working the sp and feeling the bite,  striking and your on! You also find there are less pickers and unwanted by catch! Good luck on your next trip and merry Xmas! 

Merry Christmas to you too mate..... And it's OK, I did not really cry in the corner :)

Also have to agree on feeling the bite, even the small Snapper felt like it hit hard.

1 hour ago, Aeger said:

Great job on the fish! I wasn't a fan of sp's either until middle of this year and now they are my favourite. Went flicking plastics at my favourite flathead spot yesterday and brought a 70cm flatty to the side. Don't have any pics as he spat me off just as I was getting the net! Devastated! Anyway good job on the catch. 

Thanks Aeger.

Quick question, do you use any scent on your SP's? I ask because I got 2 hit's on the fresh, straight out of the pack, SP and then nothing for another couple of hours while I was still getting hits on bait.

Interested to hear from anyone on their thoughts on using scent.