Hawksbury crabbing and off Dee Why with new fishos

saltrix

My wife and i decided on a leisurly day in the river on Thursday and perhaps a few blue swimmers for tea, with a couple of flathead mavbe as well.

The plan did not work out as i could only find 6 hoop nets between us and only managed 1 nice crab.  It might have been better setting them a bit deeper as I set them in in 2 to 3 metres, but caught 1 on a line in 5 metres, but dropped it trying to get it behind the motor.

The fishing resulted in 2 undersized reds, 1 shovelnosed shark, and an enormous toad with teeth like a pair of sidecutting pliers, no sign of bream or flathead from the usual spots.

Still it was a nice day on the water with a gentle breeze and some cloud cover.

Friday I took my adult son and a friend out wide off Dee Why,There was still a bit of wind early and it was quite sloppy but we all managed OK.

The fishing was not up to the usual standard and I was kept busy helping out and did not fish myself as 2 lines out is enough and my guests  were new to this kind of fishing.

We managed 5 flathead (a mix of blue spot and marbled) and a nice morwong, plus the usual multple catches of spikeys, sargeant baker, just undersized reds,  and even nannagi and mados when we tried a reef patch closer in.

Some of the spikeys were a good size and one day I will keep a few as there is no legal size and they are mature when pretty small  and only grow to 34cm maximum, however the bag limit of 10 for all flathead species applies.

Fish-friday.jpg

Plenty of parking at Tunks and net many on the ramp.

Tried a trolL around North Head and Dobroyd but no takers, it has been very quite trolling the lower harbour for months now.

Edited by saltrix

On 12/23/2016 at 8:57 PM, saltrix said:

My wife and i decided on a leisurly day in the river on Thursday and perhaps a few blue swimmers for tea, with a couple of flathead mavbe as well.

The plan did not work out as i could only find 6 hoop nets between us and only managed 1 nice crab.  It might have been better setting them a bit deeper as I set them in in 2 to 3 metres, but caught 1 on a line in 5 metres, but dropped it trying to get it behind the motor.

The fishing resulted in 2 undersized reds, 1 shovelnosed shark, and an enormous toad with teeth like a pair of sidecutting pliers, no sign of bream or flathead from the usual spots.

Still it was a nice day on the water with a gentle breeze and some cloud cover.

Friday I took my adult son and a friend out wide off Dee Why,There was still a bit of wind early and it was quite sloppy but we all managed OK.

The fishing was not up to the usual standard and I was kept busy helping out and did not fish myself as 2 lines out is enough and my guests  were new to this kind of fishing.

We managed 5 flathead (a mix of blue spot and marbled) and a nice morwong, plus the usual multple catches of spikeys, sargeant baker, just undersized reds,  and even nannagi and mados when we tried a reef patch closer in.

Some of the spikeys were a good size and one day I will keep a few as there is no legal size and they are mature when pretty small  and only grow to 34cm maximum, however the bag limit of 10 for all flathead species applies.

Fish-friday.jpg

Plenty of parking at Tunks and net many on the ramp.

Tried a trolL around North Head and Dobroyd but no takers, it has been very quite trolling the lower harbour for months now.

2 or 3 meters of water is fine for blues when the water is as warm as it has been. They tend to be on the hunt in shallower water. Try changing your bait in the net, I find that fresh killed Roosters (or chickens,but I prefer to eat those myself) that have not been bled and cut up as you set your net work great on blues and mudies. Just be warned though the grinners also like them and can destroy your nets one after the other so be on hand if you see a float being dragged.

Jeff