Fab1

Just finished going over my boat for its upcoming trip to Nowra and found one of the welds starting to crack on one of the ribs that attach to the hand rail.

To those guys with aluminium boats it pays to lift the floors and periodically inspect all welds carefully to catch them and repair them early.

I go through my boat/trailer from top to tail before any trip to make sure things are in order.

cheers.

image.jpg

8 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Have you been swinging off it Fab or has it failed prematurely? What is it a quintrex?

I don't know what happened but it's no big deal.I did slip on the guard climbing in in thongs(stupid idea) in the garage and grabbed that rail quite hard.

All the other welds are in excellent order.

And yes it's a Quintrex.

36 minutes ago, beginner said:

Good Pickup, I am doing the same thing these days checking everything and my dad reckons I take it too far sometimes but heck I don't care if I am 10 mins late to the boat ramp as long as I get there in one piece and have a good trip.

Enjoy your trip to Nowra, will be very interested t know how your cerato goes towing down there or are you gonna take the hilux?

Regards,

Nathan

That's part of the reason people suffer breakdowns or worse have accidents because they overlooked something by being in a hurry.

I'm taking the cerato to determine if I add brakes to my trailer at a later date.

Hey Fab. Had a beer with a mate tonight hes a blacksmith/boiler maker old school, hands like hammers .Mentioned your cracked weld and showed him the photo. He reckons the weld appears to have been to "hot" and said its common with the type of welder/wire diameter used for mass produced items. Reckons dont weld over existing weld, grind out and redo. Is the hull under warranty? 

40 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Hey Fab. Had a beer with a mate tonight hes a blacksmith/boiler maker old school, hands like hammers .Mentioned your cracked weld and showed him the photo. He reckons the weld appears to have been to "hot" and said its common with the type of welder/wire diameter used for mass produced items. Reckons dont weld over existing weld, grind out and redo. Is the hull under warranty? 

Your friend is correct never weld over existing weld.Always grind down to base metal and weld from scratch.Mass produced items will skimp wherever the manufacturer can and welds will be one area they will skimp on.Just have a good look at any ally boat,they pretty much all do it not just quintrex.

That weld cracked recently as it was not there before.I ground it out and welded it again earlier this evening and is now all good.

My boat will be 6 years old in Feb and the warranty has long since expired.

Thanks for trying to help out mate with this small issue.

Cheers.

7 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Sounds like your all over it. My mistake, I thought it was new.

Yeah all fixed.No need to apologise mate as I've been told it looks new by others also.Maybe actually using it more often would be a start.