Light line terminal knots

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

What knots do people use to connect lures and swivels to light line? IE 6lbs plus.

I've recently started using a doubled line Uni knot and am astonished what a difference this makes. I think most of the force from a fight would be on the terminal knot. I would feel more comfortable/confident using a 6lbs trace with a doubled Uni terminal knot than a 12lbs trace using a single Uni terminal knot. Such an advantage being able to fish lighter line class.

Guest Guest123456789
48 minutes ago, Jewhunter said:

The FG knot is the way to go mate. It won't break. It's been tested & proven to be the strongest braid to leader knot
there is. Once you've done it a few times it's a piece of cake & can be tied in light or heavy lines.

Agreed, but I'm talking about knots to attach terminal tackle:

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/terminal-connections

I use rapala knot for lures and improved uni for everthing else except braid to mono where I use double uni. Im not catching marlin but not  loosing fish to bad knots either  and can change rigs in a jiffy. I have tried the polymer knot but despite claims I find it breaks well before the line rating.

Sorry mate! I read it too quickly! Yep, the uni knot is the way to go. It's designed to tighten on itself the more pressure it's under.

You can also use it as a loop knot on lures. When you get a hit or a fish simply grab the knot & slide it back up into a loop.

Guest Guest123456789

I think I'm not communicating clearly, I do apologise. Let me try again.

im claiming that a lure attached to 6lbs line tied with a DOUBLED line Uni knot is STRONGER than a lure attached to 12lbs line with a SINGLE line uni knot.

Make sense? Agree/disagree?

I get what you are saying - the doubled line AT the knot where it is tied to to the terminal tackle WILL break at around 12lb. BUT the knot created to form the double (Bimini, Plait, Spider Hitch whatever) will still break at best at 6lbs. Doubles for most light tackle fishing are not really a must (I do tend to tie them out of habit anyway). For heavy tackle fishing the double is a bit of extra security plus once it is on the reel you can apply extra pressure to get the fish up (as in gamefishing) when its in close. The other advantage of a double is a bit of extra abrasion resistance down at the terminal tackle. For a while their I was using "twisted leaders" for heavy tackle land based spinning chasing spannies and longtails but it all got a bit too complicated and I went back to a 1 meter 40-60lb leader albrighted to a short double. That way i had no knots getting bashed by going through the guides.

Guest Guest123456789
39 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

the knot itself may be stronger but the line is still only 6lb...so wots the point when a good uni knot is about 97 % knot...if you use 50% drag your only pulling 3lb so therefore you should never break a knot...me thinks too much thinking...rick

In the past whenever I spun 10 gram metal lures on 6lbs line I would lose lots of lures and the break would mostly occur at the knot. I tied very good 5 turn uni knots. By doubling the line I haven't lost a lure yet and I've caught so very nice 3kg fish. I reckon I hook more too with the lighter line. The point is I'm trying to help other Raiders and also seeing if others have had similar experiences. All good fisherman are thinkers Rick, it's what we do. 

28 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

I get what you are saying - the doubled line AT the knot where it is tied to to the terminal tackle WILL break at around 12lb. BUT the knot created to form the double (Bimini, Plait, Spider Hitch whatever) will still break at best at 6lbs. Doubles for most light tackle fishing are not really a must (I do tend to tie them out of habit anyway). For heavy tackle fishing the double is a bit of extra security plus once it is on the reel you can apply extra pressure to get the fish up (as in gamefishing) when its in close. The other advantage of a double is a bit of extra abrasion resistance down at the terminal tackle. For a while their I was using "twisted leaders" for heavy tackle land based spinning chasing spannies and longtails but it all got a bit too complicated and I went back to a 1 meter 40-60lb leader albrighted to a short double. That way i had no knots getting bashed by going through the guides.

Agreed it's still 6lbs breaking strain I just think doubling the line helps distribute the load and add additional strength when you get that sharp application of force. Applying a full 6lbs of force Immediately (IE first hookup) will break line quicker than slowly applying 6lbs of force over a few seconds (if that makes sense). I still believe the vast majority of force is applied at the connection so logically reinforcing this point is a huge benefit.

I've also experimented with Bimini twist and Aussie plaits etc and think for me it's more hassle than it's worth.

Biminis and plaits will act as a "spring" in your system and take out shocks, they are very worthwhile for a lot of fishing circumstances. Can I ask you a question- have you ever checked your drag with a set of scales. With 6lb line you should be running 2lbs of drag- a bit more with braid (cause the breaking strian is higher than whats on the package). I actually doubt you would even come close to putting 6lbs of strain at the knot under most circumstances unless you are redlining your gear for kings , etc. have a play in the garage with your gear and you might be suprised at how much pressure 2lbs is.

Guest Guest123456789
43 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Biminis and plaits will act as a "spring" in your system and take out shocks, they are very worthwhile for a lot of fishing circumstances. Can I ask you a question- have you ever checked your drag with a set of scales. With 6lb line you should be running 2lbs of drag- a bit more with braid (cause the breaking strian is higher than whats on the package). I actually doubt you would even come close to putting 6lbs of strain at the knot under most circumstances unless you are redlining your gear for kings , etc. have a play in the garage with your gear and you might be suprised at how much pressure 2lbs is.

Not scales but multiple 1 litre water bottles, each of which weighs a kilo. I test everything even lures and floats in my pool it's a good habit to have instead of on a fish you might lose

I fish ANSA comps using 1kg Platypus pretest line and always use a 30 turn Bimini Twist to form a double and then a 5 or 6 turn uniknot to the terminals using a Uni knot in the doubled line.  This gives as close to 100% strength as you will get.  This has served me well with 9 flathesd over 4kg and 2 over 5.6kg.  All fish kept in a purpose built tank shown in picture and released alive.

PHONE 1732014 032.jpg

Edited by campr
Explain no big flathead killed.

Guest Guest123456789
5 minutes ago, campr said:

I fish ANSA comps using 1kg Platypus pretest line and always use a 30 turn Bimini Twist to form a double and then a 5 or 6 turn uniknot to the terminals using a Uni knot in the doubled line.  This gives as close to 100% strength as you will get.  This has served me well with 9 flathesd over 4kg and 2 over 5.6kg.

PHONE 1732014 032.jpg

WOW nice catch!

Thanks for sharing I knew I was onto something. You've motivated me to try different knots and go even lighter.

big fan of the platypus light mono