Electrics problem

Blacky72

G'day guys was wondering if someone can help troubleshoot an electrics problem. Basically I can tilt/ start the engine no worries, the battery is fully charged but I can get any of the electrics to work, sounder/bilge/bait pump/lights. I bought a multimeter and have checked all switches/bus boar/leads and they all have power to them. Are there any other checks or things I should look at??? Cheers

39 minutes ago, Blacky72 said:

G'day guys was wondering if someone can help troubleshoot an electrics problem. Basically I can tilt/ start the engine no worries, the battery is fully charged but I can get any of the electrics to work, sounder/bilge/bait pump/lights. I bought a multimeter and have checked all switches/bus boar/leads and they all have power to them. Are there any other checks or things I should look at??? Cheers

You don't mention any fuses.

Normally the  engine is powered independently of any accessories and a fused power wire is run to a Busbar which then the accessories branch off from there to your sounder,bildge,nav lights etc.

Normally if you have power to the positive side of all the terminals on the Busbar bar but  "All" your accessories quit working you don't have a ground/earth on the ground (Negative)side of the circuit causing what is known as an open circuit.

The same goes for switches/fuses etc.You can have 12v going to one side but not the other due to a failure causing an incomplete circuit.

Check all your grounds at the Busbar and battery that they are clean and tight with the wiring in good order.

Without a good negative side on any circuit your accessories will not work.

Hope I made sense.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, Blacky72 said:

Thanks for that. Btw all fuses are good

5 hours ago, Blacky72 said:

Thanks for that. Btw all fuses are good

Let's take a step backwards.When was the last time all your electronics worked?When they failed I'm assuming they all did at once,yes?

If you have good fuses,power at the switches,bus bar etc.You must have a loose,broken wire or bad ground from the negative side of the bus bar back to the battery.

Think back to what occurred prior to the electronics ceasing to work.

Cheers.

The boat wasn't used for about 6 months. I charged up the battery and took it out but when I tried to turn on the sounder nothing. Tried the other accessories and nothing. I happened once before a couple of years earlier where the wire running from the battery to the bus board had come off the battery. So I reattached it and all was good so this time I bought a length of  wire and ran it the from the battery to the bus board but nothing. I'll have another look on the weekend.