Circle Hooks

TunOFun

Gday All,

I was after some advice in regards to circle hooks. I plan on bridal rigging some livies this season. I have been having a look around on the net for various brands.

1) What brand and model of hook do you suggest.

I found this pic on Ebay. Is the gap between hook point and hook shaft too small?? others i have seen have a much larger gap

post-910-1129961764_thumb.jpg

2) What size circle hooks should i be using when fishing slimies etc in the 20-30 cm range, chasing small black marlin.

Thanks, Brett

Eagle Claw l2004elf 10/0 if you are chasing marlin, they are hard to track down in oz, but some places will stock them. I wouldn't use anything else - make sure if you order some you get the exact model num l2004elf, there is a heap of other similar ones but the one that ends in elf is the way to go.

http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/hooks...hook/index.html

For kingies and the like, you really cant afford to use circles as it requires giving the fish plenty of line. :thumbup:

Rig them like this:

post-116-1129998704_thumb.jpg

Guest bluecod

Another option you could consider are the Penn Circle 800CSB 8/0.

We've fished these almost exclusively over the past few years when we've been chasing the summer run of small blacks [50 to 60 kilo] at SWR and have had a very high hook-up rate. We started fishing up to 24 kg tackle but now mainly 15 kg and have not had a hook straighten when fished from the rod.

What we do like about them, is that if the fish is still green when we trace, you can straighten the hook by increasing the pressure on the trace [far more than what you can apply by rod], resulting in a released fish in good condition and subject to much less stress. If the fish is buggered when it comes to trace, we will remove the hook manually and revive the fish first before releasing.

Edited by bluecod

Bluecod what do those hooks look like? I know the penn p170 is the same as the eagle claw (eagle actually make the penn hooks) The l2004elf in 10/0 is very difficult to straighten even on the trace.

The zinc anode isn't that neccessary, it stops the hook point corroding and prolongs the life of the hooks.

Guest bluecod

Bluecod what do those hooks look like? I know the penn p170 is the same as the eagle claw (eagle actually make the penn hooks) The l2004elf in 10/0 is very difficult to straighten even on the trace.

Here you go Bashir - five cent coin to get idea of size

post-106-1130037874_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...