FG knot half hitches

cos

I'vebeen using the FG knot for many years now. I used to finish it with around 20 pairs of half hitches. As I  get older (and lazier) I've dropped that down to 10.

My question is is there any reason to tie all those half hitches as the strength of tbe knot comes from the wraps biting into the leader? I'd also be interested to know how many half hitches others tie?

1 hour ago, cos said:

I'vebeen using the FG knot for many years now. I used to finish it with around 20 pairs of half hitches. As I  get older (and lazier) I've dropped that down to 10.

My question is is there any reason to tie all those half hitches as the strength of tbe knot comes from the wraps biting into the leader? I'd also be interested to know how many half hitches others tie?

I get away with 8 and have never had one let go

39 minutes ago, Crossfire63 said:

I get away with 8 and have never had one let go

What do you think the half hitches actually do. As far as I can tell their only purpose after the initial locking of the knot is to keep the line straight. Any thoughts?

The hitches are insurance. After extended fights with larger fish on light gear I do notice that the leader has slipped through some of the hitches .If  you melt the tag of the leader down to form a bit of a plug this dose not happen as much. 20 hitches is overkill though.

1 hour ago, cos said:

What do you think the half hitches actually do. As far as I can tell their only purpose after the initial locking of the knot is to keep the line straight. Any thoughts?

I agree on this one, It also serves to put a taper on the knot. If the FG is tensioned correctly it shouldn't slip if it has been tied correctly. There is a method of tying the FG knot without the half hitches, on youtube but its not very clear.    

I use the FG knot on 30lb braid and 40 lb leader and secure it with a few (up to 6) half hitches. My understanding is that the strength of the knot lies in the braid biting in to the leader...the half hitches are there to tidy up the knot and assist the knot to slip through guides. On this heavier gear I also use the tiniest dab of superglue to prevent the half hitches from unravelling, not that I believe it will weaken the knot, if it did. BN