FADs quiet

Brew

Hi All,

Travelled out to Sydney North FAD today. Lots of rat kings but no Dolphinfish. Best king went 60cm so no keepers unfortunately. 

Went north to the Terrigal FAD pushing skirts along the way. No hits and Terrigal FAD was the same. Only rat kings. 

Headed to shore and trolled lures around East Reef for more rat kings and one bonito that came home for sashimi. 

On the water at 5.30am with water temp around mid 23s. 

On the way out I did troll past Lion Island and got a salmon in less than a minute so I'm assuming there is a few there. I was only curious to see if they were there so we put it back and pushed on to the FAD. 

Great day but looking forward to the Dolphinfish showing up.

Brew

The Dollies are there Brew, more often than not its the boat traffic that spooks them. Got afew yesterday along with three other boats, taking turns drifting near the FAD. We were all having a great session till  Mr inconsiderate turned up trolling a spread within 5 meters of the FAD , after that nothing but rats. Get to the FAD early before the retards and your in with a chance. Largest dollie yesterday was on a mates boat round 90cm. 

Raymondo thanks for the tip. Thing I love about this forum is the information. I probably would have been that Inconsiderate so and so next week when I head out there. I am heading out from Botany Bay on Monday for my first time fishing near the FAD and was going to troll for fish. After reading your comment and a bit more research and I will change tack and will take some bait and plastics for the day. Thanks again.

Yep early with a tank full of livies-nothing better for dollies. Also seen guys backing up on the FAD when they get more than 3 meters from it, putting the fish down. Other time that works well is late arvo when everyone else goes home, best lures ive found over the last couple of years are floating stickbaits worked at a slow/meduim walk the dog- even outfished livies some days

Pulling in a flathead yesterday in 50m south of Longie when a marlin came up to about 3m .It was leisurely and not lit up.Not a big one,beautiful blue tail and pectorals.Slim profile like a striped but not sure.