Botany Bay 19/01/17

jtp

Hi everyone, 

Haven't posted in a while due to work the past year. This is a little late as well, but went fishing out on the boat in Botany on Thursday. 

Launched at around 6am at low tide and went to get some bait. Couldn't get any yellowtail so went for squid instead at yarra bay and kurnell. Managed 6 with one being quite large. Saw lots of surface action. Tried for a couple hours with lures and trolling and only managed to tempt a 56cm kingfish on a soft vibe that was promptly released. Looks like they are everywhere at the moment but none of legal size.  

Parked at the runways for the last hour of the run-in and an hour of the run-out. Was targetting trevally as they have been at a better size recently and out in numbers. Was cubing for trevally on a jighead and left live squid bait out on a single hook paternoster rig for something larger. Managed 4 trevally around 33 - 38cm and a bream at 28cm. 30 minutes before the change of tide the live squid rod goes off and drag is being pulled quickly. The hooks were set and some headshakes could be felt but the line snapped after only 10seconds or so at the mainline. It's well overdue for changing but I have been lazy...and unfortunately that cost me the fish. As a consolation we were able to bring in a couple blue swimmers off the line and lost a few at the boat that we couldn't scoop up. One time there was actually two blue swimmers hanging off a small cube of pilchard! Buggers would not let go even when in the boat. 

Overall a slow productive day. 

Thanks

Joe

20170119_175252.jpg

Good work! Nice bag of fish you have managed.

It's a shame about the big one. I'm also a bit lazy sometimes and have lost fish to knots that I didn't check before fishing or old line/poor rigging.

Still nice haul for your efforts!

Nice report and a good day on the water.   Sounds tragic when you can get livies so get 6 squid instead.  That same laziness has cost me over time as well.

I have seen people dip the rod tip in the water and wrap their line around the crabs so the can't let go.  

Edited by Welster

4 hours ago, papafish said:

nice!! report. we got 1 king and a travelly last week. dropped 2 king as well. got around 5 flatty. but never caught a crab lol. where about did you fish the crab, was it intentional or bycatch?

Hi papafish, crabs were bycatch while fishing at the runways. Not intentional at all haha although i have caught them on line there on a few different occasions.

3 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Good work! Nice bag of fish you have managed.

It's a shame about the big one. I'm also a bit lazy sometimes and have lost fish to knots that I didn't check before fishing or old line/poor rigging.

Still nice haul for your efforts!

Thanks mate. We would think after the first few times we would learn from our mistakes. Guess not haha. Im going to respool that reel now. 

3 hours ago, Welster said:

Nice report and a good day on the water.   Sounds tragic when you can get livies so get 6 squid instead.  That same laziness has cost me over time as well.

I have seen people dip the rod tip in the water and wrap their line around the crabs so the can't let go.  

Thanks Welster. Thats a good tip. Might have to give it a go next time.