First time boat skipper - Hawkesbury

Wellzy94

Had an overnight trip planned Saturday on the Hawkesbury, target species Jewfish. After a bit of an unexpected sleepin, we ended up getting the boat in at Parsley Bay about 1pm Saturday afternoon. 

Hid around behind Dangar Island to escape the wind for a while, anchored up and fishing for Bream. After about 20 minutes, noticed our anchor wasn't holding the bottom, so we moved to about midway along the stretch of houses at Little Wobby, Landed one bream here that went just shy of 30cm.

Started to pull up anchor to move to Juno Point to set up for the night and get the Jewfish baits out, but the anchor was stuck! Took about 10 minutes (and a lot of rope burn) to get the bugger up and get moving.

Got to Juno Point, and after a bunch of failed attempts, our anchor wouldn't hold bottom. Filled with disappointment, packed it in early. 

Still got Jewfish on my checklist, unmarked. Fingers crossed for next time! Might try off the beach in the near future, don't have to anchor there.

Cheers,

Wellzy

You should have at least the length of chain as the length of boat ie 5m for a 5 m boat. For anchoring somewhere like Juno in that strong current you should be looking at putting around 3x the depth in rope as a minimum ie 10 m depth 30m of rope. This can often need to go to 5x in choppy conditions.

I use a float system to retrieve my anchor, as pulling it up from 80 m is tough with just the kids onboard.

Jon

sorry for the repeat!!!...PaddyT got in there as I was tipping!!

Edited by JonD

The chain may actually be that length. It's not my boat (I'm a member of a fishing club, it's available for hire to members) so I imagine the guys who look after it know what they're doing. 

The amount of rope needed to anchor is definitely good to know for next time! Much more to boating than I thought :lol:

Cheers,

Wellzy

5 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

The chain may actually be that length. It's not my boat (I'm a member of a fishing club, it's available for hire to members) so I imagine the guys who look after it know what they're doing. 

The amount of rope needed to anchor is definitely good to know for next time! Much more to boating than I thought :lol:

Cheers,

Wellzy

This may help.

http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/JonDP/media/boats/anchor_scope_zps8814a6e0.png.html]anchor_scope_zps8814a6e0.png[/URL]

Edited by JonD

48 minutes ago, seasponge said:

Can you explain the float method to retrieve anchor? 

Most boating stores sell the ring and either the inflatable float as in this video or the white hard poly type ( which I use ). 

There is a clip that can be used where the rope runs in one direction jamming if the anchor slides try's to slide back down, stay away from this version. These can be hard to clip onto the anchor when hanging over the front of the boat, you can also easely clip it on the wrong way. Also if you use the jamming clip and the rope breaks above the float the force of the current can pull the float under ending in loosing the anchor and float.

Jon

1 hour ago, Hooked-Up said:

Haha theres ya problem, plenty of rope mate, good average is triple the depth of water as pointed out!

re the sand anchor, sounds like you found some reef, reef anchor wouldve suited you better there.

does the boat have a decent sounder?

It's got a Lowrance on it, not sure what model. The bottom looked nice and flat, didn't see any reef, or anything sticking off the bottom at all.

2 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

It's got a Lowrance on it, not sure what model. The bottom looked nice and flat, didn't see any reef, or anything sticking off the bottom at all.

The few times I've fishe Juno I've only found sand.

8 hours ago, seasponge said:

Can you explain the float method to retrieve anchor?

I have a float that locks on to the anchor rope with a clip that will only slide one way. Got mine in Whitworths  years ago and reckon that it was the best investment that I ever made. For a start since buying it I have never lost a reef pick, hope that does not jinx me..... And pulling in the anchor is just so easy as all you are doing is pulling in slack rope. Saves the back and your hands.

Also suggest that you invest in a reef pick, makes it a lot easier when anchoring over a rocky bottom. You can get them in Whitworths pretty cheaply. Then had a D shackle on the end pf the chain and swap as necessary.

Good luck. :-)

ive used the float and clip system for years and wouldn't be without it..we fish 90 mtrs sometimes and use a fairly substansial length of chain with short solid anchors similar to a moloolaba pick..i would hate to pull it up by hand..as for jon s comment about hard to use on the bow that's why we do it from inside the boat..i have not lost an anchor in 15 yrs using our style of anchor with cable tie breakaways.the only time we pull the anchor by hand is in shallow water with short lengths..float system is just unbeatable..rick