fishing Balmoral Beach

Franticd10

hi guys,

Just wanted your advice. I am new to SP and wanted to know if i would have any chance at catching a Flathead off Balmoral beach. I was planning on walking up and down to cover the beach. Or should i stay on the wharf and wish from there?

7 minutes ago, Franticd10 said:

hi guys,

Just wanted your advice. I am new to SP and wanted to know if i would have any chance at catching a Flathead off Balmoral beach. I was planning on walking up and down to cover the beach. Or should i stay on the wharf and wish from there?

I have seen kings swimming off the rocky point in the middle of balmoral while catching yakkas. If you have a big enough rod I'd try fishing off there. 

Mate great chance of flathead off the beach and the wharf.

From the Wharf fish back towards the beach and rocky point, fan out you casts until you find fish. Kings can turn up anywhere so can chopper Tailor, they just rip plastics apart but fun to catch. 

Could be an idea to add a couple of small metal slices to your box.

On the beach, head up to Edwards, the other side of rocky pt, wade out and cast. Work your way along.

Definite chance of catching a flathead off Balmoral beach but minor detail - it is summer and Balmoral is pretty packed so wouldn't recommend it unless you want to upset a few people. You have a chance fishing off the wharf but on the left side is a bit of ribbon weed so you may get a few minor snags.

Which area are you coming from as may have some better recommendations in the area.

Thanks for the advice gents. I was planning on fishing it at first light where there won't really be any swimming. 

I am am from the hills area. 

Was just going to use those 2.5 Zman grub I think it's called. Will it matter what size jig head I use?

On my 2 inch grubs I use a Gamakatsu 1/8 ounce 211 ball head jig with size 1 hook. Depending on what brand of jig heads you use my feeling is that a 2/0 hook is probably a little large. Hold the jig head against the plastic and ask yourself if it looks right. Same advice goes for most plastics. If chasing flathead I will go a little heavier on the jig head to get increased casting distance. Flathead are not as picky about a meal that comes hopping past as say bream. I prefer 4lb braid for added casting distance and 6 or 8 or 10lb fluorocarbon leader depending on what I am chasing at the time. I don't like mono or a fibreglass rod as the feel is too spongy after having used braid for years with a graphite rod but it will still work.

In the Mosman area there are plenty of spots which will give you some alternatives. Think both sides of the spit bridge area, Chinaman's beach, Clontarf beach (unfortunately some sections are paid parking). Also look at some of the wharves in the area. Just have a back up location or two before you head over. Google maps or a street directory. Stay away from Clifton as it is usually overly crowded and harder work to fish well.

If you haven't done much plastics fishing then try and keep in contact with the line by winding in the slack as it drops to the bottom. Watch for the bow in the line when it hits bottom and then a couple of flicks will get it back into the water column. If you feel a hit then tease the fish with some small hops. Also cast back to the same area as flathead are often happy to take a second and even third shot at a lure.

• Like 1

A mate of mine who lives in the area pulled up a nice haul of flatties off the beach on plastics just a few days ago. So they are definitely there! As others have mentioned though, although fishing is allowed off the beach (some people may tell you otherwise but it is perfectly fine) try avoiding times when there will be a lot of people and families wanting to enjoy the water.

Both sides of the island can produce good fish although recently I've had more success over on Edwards. The wharf is also a great spot for trevally, bream, yakkas and the occasional salmon/king when they cruise through.

The beach can be a bit nicer I find though as the fishing is less crowded and you get to take your shoes off and move around a bit!

Good luck, let us know how you go!

Edited by Mike89