Rod and Reel. what to get

Franticd10

Hi all,

I am planning on purchasing a new rod and reel combo.

Can you please provide an suggestions. I am looking for something light 

Criteria:

Suitable for Squid, flathead, whiting, bream 

something reliable but on the cheaper side.

I have a Shimano Sedona which seems to be really good

Usually Shimano Sonic combos (6'-7' 2-3kg rod and 2500 size spin reel) are suggested as a minimum budget combo on the forum for the mentioned fish species. They are regularly on sale in big tackle/camping chain stores. The next 'level' would be Pflueger Trion rods on clearances.

If you could be more specific about your needs such as  budget, bait or lures, boat or land-based (beach/rocks/estuary/piers) fishing then you might get a more specific advice from forum members.

Edited by savit

Yes, i should have been more specific.

I was also thinking about a 2-3kg rod and 2500 reel. My sedona is 2500 and pretty happy with it.

I dont have a big budget, but rod - $50?

and Reel $80 or so?

Would be using for small species, combination of lures and bait. mainly land based. wharfs and occasionally rocks.

If I was you I'd aim for a 2 - 4kg rated rod of around 7 foot or so. 

If your total budget is $130 then you can get a good combo for that if you look around for the specials.

I got a shimano classix 722sp and sedona 2000 for $130 with a bunch of coupons and deals etc.

I have had a Rovex Revenge 3-6kg rod for 2-3 years now and I am still yet to find a better rod at that price point. They also have them in a 2-4kg model which would probably be more well suited to what you want it for.

I paid $75 for mine and most online retailers have them for around $75-$100 but most actual tackle shops in real life have them for between $35 and $60 you just have to search around a little bit.

As for the reel I'd stick with the Sedona I've only heard good reviews on them and they're probably the best reel that you could get for around $80

The big Camping and something store has the Abu Garcia Veritas Spin Combos fro $129 for club members in a 2-4kg, 7ft 2 piece at the moment.

Edit:

Just checked and they seem to be out of Stock at most Stores.

If you are near Auburn there is another store there that is having a sale and he has some unbeatable prices on rods and reels, all top brands.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

2 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

The big Camping and something store has the Abu Garcia Veritas Spin Combos fro $129 for club members in a 2-4kg, 7ft 2 piece at the moment.

Yeah. Probably the best value for money deal at the moment.