Washing High End Spin Reels After Salt Use

BreamMeUpScotty

Finally bit the bullet and got myself a Certate 2000 after previously using reels which cost no more than $200. Best thing I've used and worth every cent I paid for it but after a session in saltwater, I remembered again why I'd gladly pay $600 for a rod but hesitated to pay more than $200 for a reel. The cleaning of it baffles me no end. I want to clean it so that the salt doesn't kill it as I can't afford to replace a certate as easily as I can a Stradic so how do you properly wash down the reel after use in the salt so it not only lasts a long time but the smoothness of it stays?

I've asked around and the responses I get just makes me more confused. Some said to tighten the drag up and then rinse it under a running tap. Others say that will force the salt in deeper into the mechanics of it. Others say use a sponge with a little hand soap, tighten drag and sponge it all over and then rinse with wet sponge to clear off soap, yet others will say use the misty sprinkler to lightly rinse it..

I know the certate says its washable and is better sealed than many other reels, so what is the best way to wash them down? Also, another problem I had in the past was corrosion building up in the spool due to saltwater that "sticks" onto the line and when winded in, saltwater gets "trapped" and rinsing doesn't get rid of it. It then reacts with the spool and hence, corrosion. How do you prevent that?

I hose down my reels sometimes, but its much easier to get a wet chux cloth - soap is optional and give the reel a good wipe down with the drag fully done up. Leave the reel to dry then spray with inox or silicon spray, back the drag off then store the reel. I do the same with my rods, except I normally on spray silicon spray on the reel seat threads and the guides.

maintenance is fairly easy but there are so many preferred methods that you gain confidece over time with your own techniques. I spray INOX on my reels b4 any line is wound onto them for the specific reason of protecting the spool from the salt residue collected by the line. As you have already wound the line on, submersing line and spool only in a buket of water for a few hours can combat the salt retension. I always rinse the entire reel under the kitchen tap with moderate to slow flowing water, this seems to be fine and none of my reels have displayed any adverse effects from this method. After wiping clean a spray of Inox every other trip will maintain a silky smooth reel for years to come. Remember to tighten the drag when being washed and back it off when in storage to prolong the drag washers.

I do this for my three stellas, sustain and stradics so rest assured my methods have worked on expensive equipment. :thumbup:

Leaving the spool and line in a container with water - won't that force water into the drag and salt with it?

Yes you are right but salt wouldn't be an issue. What you can do is run all the line back off the spool, treat with INOX which is the best option and then respool. As i said i treat them first with INOX so i rarely need to submerse them in a bucket of water. With my older reels pre INOX days i use the bucket method and allow the spool time to dry, it doesn't affect the drag in the slightest IN MY OPINION.

If i had a certate i would be taking the line back off and doing it that way personally.

Everyone seems to have a slightly different spin on this topic so I might as well add mine. :1prop:

My gear goes into the shower before me after a trip out under warm water (heard that it shifts salt better than cold some where) the drags are left tight. The gear is then transferred to the bath to drain. When dry a wipe down with a rag dampened with CRC or inox, back the drags off and put away. This has been working for the last 20 odd years for me.

I do make a point however of not getting anything but water on the line itself.

Edited by Jewel

Do not soak you spool with the drag washers in the spool!!!! Water is the worst thing that can happen to your drag. :1yikes:

Right with you there Bashir. What about the grease thats in the base of the spool. Wouldn't the water reduce the amount of grease? I would also assume that the drag washers would have a reduced time frame if constantly soaked in water.

I do exactly the same as Swoffa.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by leelee

Right with you there Bashir. What about the grease thats in the base of the spool. Wouldn't the water reduce the amount of grease? I would also assume that the drag washers would have a reduced time frame if constantly soaked in water.

I do exactly the same as Swoffa.

Cheers

Lee

slightly off topic but if the drag washers are anything like those in a TLD you can get away with getting the washers wet by rinsing the washers in metho or acetone, which displaces the water and evaporates alot easier too. hairdryer to dry and you're away... done this several times to my TLD20 (a veteran that has seen a few dunkings and swampings) and the drag is still good.

i'm not saying dunk the spool and washers in water, just a way to fix the drag if your reel goes in. as for the internals, open up the reel ASAP, flush it with fresh water then flush the fresh water with INOW/WD40, then close it up and remove any excess from exterior with soapy rag.

Guest hottuna

I lightly spray the Inox all over the real, line included, with no ill effects. I don't wipe it off, just let it air dry for a few hours then back into the fishing cupboard.

I also do the same, after a hose down with it set to mist, which has just enough pressure to blast most of the salt off. Then inow the whole thing.

INOX DISOLVES SALT TOO! My OB loves it.

Dan

I did what Kevvie suggested, removed all the line, sprayed it with INOX and put the line back on. Spraying the reel all over with INOX, now, is there a way of spraying too much on or too little on? Basically, what I've done is a quick spray of INOX all over and then I use a paper towel to dry the excess bits otherwise it almost looks like it'll drip oil. Still leaves behind a coat of inox I reckon (or hope) and that's all that's required I take it?

I don't think I'll ever bring myself to do what swoffa does. When one of Swoffa's certate dies, he goes out and buys 2 more... I reckon this is the one and only certate I'll ever be allowed to have.... the missus has a pretty tight rein on the purse strings. This certate will have to last a long time..

I did what Kevvie suggested, removed all the line, sprayed it with INOX and put the line back on. Spraying the reel all over with INOX, now, is there a way of spraying too much on or too little on? Basically, what I've done is a quick spray of INOX all over and then I use a paper towel to dry the excess bits otherwise it almost looks like it'll drip oil. Still leaves behind a coat of inox I reckon (or hope) and that's all that's required I take it?

I don't think I'll ever bring myself to do what swoffa does. When one of Swoffa's certate dies, he goes out and buys 2 more... I reckon this is the one and only certate I'll ever be allowed to have.... the missus has a pretty tight rein on the purse strings. This certate will have to last a long time..

Nice work mate, you did the right thing. When i spray it on i spray enough to cover it, let it sit for about a hour, then wipe it down with a cloth. INOX residue will remain for quite a long time. If you did this every two months (if you used it every weekend) that would be fine, any more is overkill IMO.

I've used the certate the last 3 weekends in salt water and gave the drag a pretty good workout on the local trevally population. Came back after that and spent more time than I should trying to make sure there is no salt left. Basically used a wet cloth and wiped the whole reel and a dry cloth after that to wipe dry the reel. Then I removed the spool and ran only the line part of the spool under very slow (a bit more than dripping) flowing tap and lightly rubbing the line as the water flows through. Also ran the line roller section under the slow tap and then dried the whole thing. 2 questions: Is that sufficient for cleaning the reel or is there more I should do? and does the wiping down the reel and drying it remove the INOX?

I take the spools off my spinning reels to clean them. Means I can bee a bit more liberal with the water when cleaning the salt off the line. I then spray everything except the line with INOX and leave for an hour or so.

I have always been cautious when applying the INOX as I don't want to get any on the line itself. Does this matter? Does anyone just spray it on line and all and still catch fish ok?

I'm a bit fussy when it comes to what comes into contact with my line. I don't even like putting on deodorant when I'm going out fishing if I can help it. I'm sure them fish have good noses. Then again an old mate I fish with smokes roll-your-owns like a chimney and always out fishes me, so who's to know.

The reason I used INOX is because I was told INOX doesn't affect the fish behaviour. I'm fussy that way too to the point where I absolutely hate putting on sun block even because I think fish can sense it through their lateral line. This is where I believe scents like Spike-it or Yum is handy. If it doesn't serve to attract fish, at least it will mask the scents that I emit after coming in contact with sunblock, inox, or even my naturally emitted pheromones...

To the best of my knowledge INOX is a vegetable based lubricant not a petroleum based one which is why is is good for tackle unlike wd-40.

Vegetable based produsts have no ill affects on fish that ive ever seen. Ive also heard people using cooking oil spray as well but it very messy. Good for long term storage perhaps.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but I thought it better than to start another one on cleaning reels after use.

I don't use super expensive gear but nevertheless want to look after it (spinning reel).

From reading above, I am a bit confused.

Some say to take the spool off and rinse, some say immerse in water / dip it in water and then wipe dry while some say to tighten drag and rinse with hose, then loosen after.

Now tell me if I am wrong but if you immerse (just) the spool in water, the drag section is going to get wet regardless, and all the grease etc. is gonna get washed off / wet.

So if anyone can clarify for me WTF is a good way to clean the reel, that would be great !!

NO tips needed for washing the rod i.e. I won't be showering with my rod etc...

Guest danielinbyron

spray on olive oil is great on hooks grant , particularly the ones you want to just keep in ya bag in case, that might be unused for long periods of time...

More $$$ = LESS MAINTENANCE I think..

The more expensive the spinning reel the better it will be seeled , the more precise and snug the joins, better quality components and bearings etc..that has been my experience at least . light spray with a hose drag tight , until the reel asks for more , a squeak or a slightly less smooth action and time for a proper degrease, clean and regrease...cheaper reels seem to suck salt in .

I am by no means an expert in this field , but I have learned a few things recently .

High Pressure washing is out!! So dont use the Gurnie to wash your reels .

WD40 is a petroleum based product , and as such may affect lines and dissolve grease or oil.

Lanox is lanoline based , this is the natural oil that sheep make to protect wool.

Submersing will not remove grease , but some may remain on the grease , and cause problems later on .

After use , I wash the rods / reels in running water ( low pressure) , and allow to drain for 5 minutes or 1 cup of coffee. Then I spray with Tacklegaurd or Lanox , which acts as a water dispersant . Allow to penetrate and drain ( 1 cup of coffee) , then wipe excess with a clean dry cloth.

Every couple of months , I disassemble the reels and re-grease , and check for signs of wear etc. So far , have had no salt related problems .

Ross