Fishing in NZ

Penguin

Hi everyone,

Last week we were in NZ for week with my family visiting friends and doing a bit of sightseeing.

My boys and I did manage to do two boat fishing trips in Wellington harbour when the weather allowed.

I had an offshore trip booked also but it was cancelled due to bad weather.

Everyone on board caught a heap of fish, mainly 60-70cm Kings(undersize in NZ), Kahawai, Red Gurnards, Blue cod, Snapper, and some other

reef fish. I also caught an Elephant fish of 82cm that took quite a bit of line before I stopped him and brought him back to the boat.

Here is a few pics.

The view out over Wellington harbour wharves. You are allowed to fish on several of these wharves, some even have fishing platforms with

bait cutting boards, running water and modern toilet facilities.

2ir23cj.jpg

A couple of harbour pics

whn1hx.jpg

2dqkkdk.jpg

Some fish we caught.

ffb6sl.jpg

2j4x15v.jpg

osshaf.jpg

Some Red Gurnards

4iobip.jpg

k3asf5.jpg

There were plenty more of these caught by all.

160uhj.jpg

My Elephant fish caught on a mackeral fillet.

2cfcew8.png

We took some light gear with us across the ditch and a few squid jigs, all the locals told us the only squid around Wellington is offshore

and that we would catch nothing. Well they were right we caught zip after several attempts. However we did find squid at one of the

wharves, but try as we might they only came out and took a look at our jigs then swam back under the wharf. Spraying egimax didn't work,

rubbing pilchard guts on the jigs didn't work either. Very frustrating to say the least.

We also visited the Te Papa museum where we found several sea creatures including this 4mtr Colossal squid. I would hate to get caught

in the water by this thing.

4vlsp1.jpg

A few more pics of the sea creatures on display.

2llypty.jpg

3499vl2.jpg

2i1iihs.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Edited by Penguin

Well done on the Elephant fish they are very hard to catch and very prized. Well known for the ability to fight. Also very good eating. Some big Kahawai (Salmon) there. You also can catch Terakihi in the harbour. I grew up in Wellington and spent lots of my child hood fishing off wharves and rocks. Only ever saw Squid a couple of times. Welly is definitely not known for it's squid. 

17 minutes ago, recurve said:

Well done on the Elephant fish they are very hard to catch and very prized. Well known for the ability to fight. Also very good eating. Some big Kahawai (Salmon) there. You also can catch Terakihi in the harbour. I grew up in Wellington and spent lots of my child hood fishing off wharves and rocks. Only ever saw Squid a couple of times. Welly is definitely not known for it's squid. 

I grew up there as well. I used to fish the Petone wharf every second day almost as it was at the end of my street.

We booked accommodation almost across the road from it so that my boys and I could fish from it, however it was fenced off due to earthquake damage that it suffered in December. Lots of buildings, movie theatres and a shopping centre were also fenced off due to earthquake damage.

4 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Another great report and excellent photos! Looks like you and your boys managed to get stuck into some good fish over there.

What is the legal size for kings in NZ?

That elephant fish sure is strange looking.

Thanks mate. Legal size for kings is 75cm over there.

10 hours ago, Penguin said:

I grew up there as well. I used to fish the Petone wharf every second day almost as it was at the end of my street.

We booked accommodation almost across the road from it so that my boys and I could fish from it, however it was fenced off due to earthquake damage that it suffered in December. Lots of buildings, movie theatres and a shopping centre were also fenced off due to earthquake damage.

Hataitai Kid. Spent all my time riding my bike around Shelly Bay and Cobham Drive and Evans Bay casting metals for Kahawai. Then evolved into spearfishing off South Coast and Red Rocks and became completely obsessed with that.

Amazing place to grow up.

2 hours ago, recurve said:

Hataitai Kid. Spent all my time riding my bike around Shelly Bay and Cobham Drive and Evans Bay casting metals for Kahawai. Then evolved into spearfishing off South Coast and Red Rocks and became completely obsessed with that.

Amazing place to grow up.

Sure is.

I have a couple of mates here in Syd from Hataitai.

Edited by Penguin

On 2/3/2017 at 5:35 PM, luderick -angler said:

I lived in Hataitai for 3 years awesome place and the pie shop rocks! 

Pie shop was always owned by Greeks when I was growing up. Nicest people in the world. Was a real Bakery not like the modern bakeries with fake cream and sugar in the bread. 

They also used to cater to the late night drinkers from The Realm (Giovanni's) and the City for the customary Pie stop. They saved me from many a chunder after having a few too many. 

Nostalgia....Steak and Cheese, Potato Top Pies, Mince and Cheese. 

I know Aussie is the self proclaimed land of pies but you can't beat a true flakey pastry Kiwi Pie. Kiwi's do pies better. Hard fact to digest for many but, it's the truth. 

Hard to argue that I have a lot of kiwi pies the ones from Renwick were the best I have had and had some shockers too! Difference between a kiwi pie and an Aussie pie is most kiwi pastry is done the traditional way with suet! Yum yum! Though you can find a good Aussie pie at Matraville House of Pie that rivals any! And yep hataitai pies still open 24 hours! 

57 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Hard to argue that I have a lot of kiwi pies the ones from Renwick were the best I have had and had some shockers too! Difference between a kiwi pie and an Aussie pie is most kiwi pastry is done the traditional way with suet! Yum yum! Though you can find a good Aussie pie at Matraville House of Pie that rivals any! And yep hataitai pies still open 24 hours! 

Had many pies from the Matto pie shop. It used to be open 24 hrs and people stumbled out of the pub (aka the blood house) to get a curry pie. Thanks for the memes Royce. 

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Had many pies from the Matto pie shop. It used to be open 24 hrs and people stumbled out of the pub (aka the blood house) to get a curry pie. Thanks for the memes Royce. 

Still goes 24 hours Donna but the pubs cleaned up a bit! She was a rough joint all right in the day!!!