SP'S advice

MattGb1989

Hey guys,

So with the new set up bought I'm not going to start learning the art of sp's. I'm going to be fishing in the George's so going after flatties and bream mainly. Was wondering what you guys would suggest using. I'm currently looking for the more simple SPS with long tails that give the bait alot of movement. Any suggestions would be great. 

Cheers,

Brownie 

Hey mate!!

Myself personally i like the zman range, either the paddle tail or grub. Both have a good amount of action, another i use for flathead are the Squidgies brand, cant remember the exact name but its a fish shape with a curly tail (wriggler think its called) i rate them pretty highly.

Havent used gulp a lot and im not very fond of them, if ur after scent try procure mullet or maybe s factor.

Im going to be sampling Fisharrow soft plastics soon they look really detailed :)

Also get yourself a lot of different weight TT jigheads, some of my soft plastics move off the lighead so i put a tiny drop of super glue on the headlock part and then my soft plastic isnt moving off the hook

Good luck!

I use about 1-2metres of fluorocarbon leader. Depending on what im targetting but for flathead i go around 10lb and bream i go like 5-7 but im sure there are a lot of different ways that work for people.

For some good info watch youtube videos just search "flathead on soft plastics" or "bream on soft plastics" a ton of videos will come up

I love using my 1 to 3 kg rod, with 4 lb leader. It's kind of a toy compared to my others. but a deadly one.  4lb leader lets me cast a mile. But you will loose a lot of lures to Flathead. If there around I tie 20 c/m of 12 lb on the end as a '' Bite Leader"  very effective! Z man grubs are a go to for Me too, Get a pack of Gulp Swimming Mullet also in Pumpkin seed ( brown ). Try Dragon Maggot, they have a wickedly thin tail which flutteres with the slihgtest movement. Apply Sax Scent , I love Crab , to all!                  Howard.

5 minutes ago, MattGb1989 said:

@Anthonystrati @bluefin guys is using SPS at night different to using them during the day??

focus on areas that are lit up with baitfish hanging in the lights, I've pulled both jacks and flatties on hardbodies but plastics would work just as well

in the lights lighter colours seem to be more effective 

For the night - lit areas with baitfish and edges between lit and dark. Though dark colors are more visible at night, light  lures work. I caught fish even on white lures in dark areas however never on lumo lures (excluding squid/cuttlefish) . Apply scent regularly for SP. If SP does not work, try HB e.g. vibes. If HB does not work, then a long piece of chicken on a jighead (instead of SP) with twitching etc might help. What works today may not work tomorrow.