Grand Slams?

KaneMc

Hi All,

I am still relatively new to the site but thought I might suggest another category for the competitions part of the site. I really enjoy seeing what size fish others have managed to bag from the brag board and records pages. I’m always keen for a bit of friendly competition so how about a grand slam section. There is a similar thing on a New Zealand site I used to visit (not my idea unfortunately).

It goes like this, there are several categories and you can gain a certain "Slam" by catching all the fish in that category in a season/lifetime. The slams from the NZ site are:

Billfish Slam – (Minimum Weights), STRIPED – (100kg), BLUE – (150kg), BLACK – (150kg), BROADBILL – (110kg), SPEARFISH – (10kg).

Shark Slam – THRESHER – (120kg), WHALER – (120kg), MAKO – (160kg), HAMMERHEAD (100kg), BLUE – (100kg)

Tuna Slam – YELLOWFIN – (35kg), BIGEYE – (25kg), BLUEFIN – (100kg), ALBACORE- (10kg), SKIPJACK – (5kg) Must exceed line weight.

The Inshore Slam - Snapper = (10.00kg):1yikes:, Kingfish = (25.00kg), Kahawai = (3.00kg), Trevally = (5.00kg), John Dory = (2.00kg).

Obviously we would need to asses the fish types and sizes to suit. We could have a size/weight limit or it could just be one of each type of fish. It is a great way to encourage some of us who fish one particular way to experience new types of fishing. People who obtain the slam could have it as part of their signature i.e. Inshore Slam 2005.

I would suggest adding a fresh water section or two and maybe an all round section. Not too many though or it will get complicated.

What do you reckon? What fish and what sizes?

Ken – hope I am not stepping on your toes here.

Hi kane :1welcomeani: to the site mate. Interesting idea and one that i like the sound of. If it gets fisherman out of thier comfort zone and experience new techniques it is a positive step. I for one would be a willing player. :thumbup:

But how would you police it without necessarily having to kill the fish and then weigh them. In my experience, not every fisherman is an honest fisherman and glorify things to boost thier ego. Case in point, last years H'bury classic winner caught the biggest jew a day 'before' the competition was to start in order to beat the crowds. Now hows that in the spirit of the competition?

Without some honesty though i feel this could be a utopian idea

Looks like a good idea for a bit of friendly competition :biggrin2:

If enough interest is shown I'll set something up.

Thanks for the suggestion :thumbup::thumbup:

I would even suggest a friendly comp for several species in one day :biggrin2: I think its a bigger challenge than say targetting flatties alone or bream whatever. Maybe worth looking at in the future.

For the moment the slam looks good what are everyone elses thoughts.

Not a bad idea at all and :1welcomeani: Kane.

I remember seeing a one day comp on the site last year, entries were submitted by photograph. Is that going to be an annual event? There are a few posts in the Social Events section from last years comp.

One thing I would like to see is a top ten ranking system for the records. ie: largest flathead, second largest flathead etc. That's my suggestion for the site, but I'm not sure whether it is possible or how much work is involved for the admins.

I just think it would be a shame for a record to be broken and have the previous record disappear. It will also get more of us involved in submitting records as there will be more scope ie: 10 entries per species, per fishing method.

Also, a ranking system for total number for records held, so we can tell who the gun Raiders are?

I'll stop making suggestions now before I make too much work for the admins :biggrin2: I am pretty keen on the top ten idea though.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Good idea Kane.

My suggestion is for an Estuary Slam - Bream, Flathead, Whiting, EP, Jew and King. I'll leave it to others to suggest measurements. There are more fish that could be added to this of course - salmon, flounder, mullet, trevally. Have to figure out where it ends. There can also be subcategories for lure, fly and bait.

One difficulty is that the list of fish I just gave can be caught elsewhere - most of them off the beach for example

Also suggest that the measurement be length - easier to show in a photo and lets those who want release the fish and participate in the comp.

Whatever is chosen, I will give it a crack for 2006.

good idea phil... but if we select species not terrain it will make things easier to monitor. Let's take a slam of bream, flats, whiting, ep, jew and king and not put a restriction on where they are caught in a pre-determined time frame e.g. over one weekend for instance.

Also suggest that the measurement be length - easier to show in a photo and lets those who want release the fish and participate in the comp.

I'll second Dave's suggestion of length only to make it easier to release. I guess weight could be included as a matter of interest only for fish being kept for the table.

I think the vast majority of Raiders are trustworthy enough for it to work on the honesty system, as far as where the fish were caught, ie: beach vs estuary, and what methods were used. Anyone who isn't will be caught out eventually. It seems to have worked well for the current records section.

Shane

Thanks for the welcome all.

I agree madsmc, there is no prize so it is more of a personal challenge. Those who feel the need to make up catches are only kidding themselves. From what I've seen most of the posters on the forum are pretty straight up and down so should work ok.

I think keeping it simple is best. Photo's with measurements (or maybe just any legal size of a particular species) and 3 or 4 categories to start and see how it goes from there. Categories could be something like: Blue (Tuna, Marlin etc), Inshore (Kingie’s, Bream, Flatties etc) and Fresh.

Its going to have to be simple & on the honour system.

There is no way to check sizes etc just look at how many pics are submitted to the record section with no tapes etc. Even if fish are pictured with tapes who is going to argue a centimeter on a web photo ?

I would rather go species rather than size & anything over legal length goes. Add more species rather than go by weight or length.

It is a "fun" thing with NO prizes so no need to complicate it too much.

Guest bluecod

Most of us fish in Sydney where good fish are not that frequent and to catch anything of reasonable size is noteworthy in itself.

My suggestion is to have the Slams in place but within reasonable exectations

Single Slam = 2 species over a set length [lengths to be determined by KenA depending on species]

Double Slam = 3 species over those lengths ;

Triple Slam = 4 species over set lengths

etc, etc

I do like the Idea of a slam - how about inshore pelagic slam - say salmon, tailor, kingfish, bonito, frigate ? I think that we should forget lengths and weight. Just post photos of the relevant species and when and where caught. Could have 'lure slam' 'bait slam' and 'fly slam' ('sp slam'?) but may just complicate things - leave it up to the individual to do this if they want. Having it run for the calendar year is also a great idea. Gives a chance for those of us who don't get out so often to have a chance to get on the board.

Another idea - my brother in law and I have made up a challenge - we call the 'daily double'

A legal size king and jew in the one outing. We haven't got there yet...

Cheers.

My suggestion is to have the Slams in place but within reasonable exectations

Single Slam = 2 species over a set length [lengths to be determined by KenA depending on species]

Double Slam = 3 species over those lengths ;

Triple Slam = 4 species over set lengths

etc, etc

Guys, just had a read through the thread from the beginning and it's starting to get a bit too complex.

Personally, I think Bluecod's suggestion above is probably the most manageable. I think we should set the minimum size as the legal keeping size for the particular species ie: 25cm and above for Yellowfin Bream.

Fishing methods should stay the same as the current records section, lure (hb and sp), bait and fly.

Time frame over a 24 hour period from midnight to midnight.

I think the best way to get this off the ground from here is to make some suggestions as to the species grouping ie: Single Slam (lure) = 1 x Yellowfin Bream + 1 x Dusky Flathead etc.

Lets try to keep it simple so everyone can be involved, and we can convince Ken that it's not going to drain too much of his time to administer.

Your thoughts?

Shane

Ok it seems there is enough interest so I will set up a section in the records area to run slams.

They WILL be a friendly thing only

It will be in a very simple format ie. the honour system for lengths & weights

I will set it up when the work on the site is finished. For those not aware the whole site is getting a new look not just the forums. This will NOT happen until work on the site is complete & please no more PM's or E mails about this with suggestions. Completing the site is the ONLY thing I am working on at this point.

I will come up with a post some starting suggestions as soon as site work is complete.

• 4 weeks later...