Pedestal Seat Installation Help

Fishop

Hi Guys,

Im just after a way to install a second pedestal seat to a late 80's fibreglass runabout I just bought.  I cannot get access to under the floor so I am looking at an anchor bolt type solution something along the lines of this perhaps

http://www.iboats.com.au/Garelick-Toggler-Brand-Stainless-Steel-Toggle-Bolt-Anchors/dm/view_id.38770

Do you think this would be a good option? A little bit pricey if you ask me, 10 bucks a bolt.  Looked at your standard stainless steel dynabolts from the hardware store but I think there might be a good chance they would slip if the hole in the flooring was to stretch in any way.  Or do you think a bit of Sikalex thrown in there would prevent a dynabolt type thing from pulling out?

Have read that screws or coach bolts don't seem to last so want something with a bit more longevity.

Already going to be putting some esky/box seats in the back so don't really need any more storage otherwise that would be a good idea.

Fishop, what type of flooring is this going to be fixed in?

Dynabolts are designed for concrete which has very low flex so I doubt they would be suitable for fibreglass or ply floorings with or without Sikaflex. Even plate would be too thin and flexible to hold. Some form of a stainless spring loaded or toggle anchor sounds the way to go. The spring anchor doesn't need a SS spring, just an SS body as the only job the spring has is to allow you to set it.

Good luck, Brad.

Thanks for the replies, I dont know much about glassing so was trying to avoid that option.  Might be a good time to learn!

19 hours ago, brad_tate said:

Fishop, what type of flooring is this going to be fixed in?

Dynabolts are designed for concrete which has very low flex so I doubt they would be suitable for fibreglass or ply floorings with or without Sikaflex. Even plate would be too thin and flexible to hold. Some form of a stainless spring loaded or toggle anchor sounds the way to go. The spring anchor doesn't need a SS spring, just an SS body as the only job the spring has is to allow you to set it.

Good luck, Brad.

Its a fibreglass floor and I assume ply in the middle.  Cant seem to find any stainless steel toggle bolts anywhere online.  The ones I have found were on that link and with shipping its almost 100 bucks for 6!!  8(

18 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

have you thought about cutting a hole and installing an inspection hatch for access..either in front or behind pedestal not to the side as you may have a stringer to contend with..rick

Hmm could be a go.  I wouldn't have to worry about it weakening the area would I?  Just if its a sealed compartment I wouldnt want water to get in there might be stuck in there for a while! 

3 hours ago, Fishop said:

Hmm could be a go.  I wouldn't have to worry about it weakening the area would I?  Just if its a sealed compartment I wouldnt want water to get in there might be stuck in there for a while! 

I'm interested in this approach too, for a different reason. I want to put in an inspection put so I can put a bilge pump in on a similar hull.

Any points to consider on where or how to cut the hoke for the hatch?

I can make an educated guess where one stringer will be so I was going to drill a hole and use an inspection camera to check for others. I also thought a stud finder may help locate the edge of it but have not tried it yet.

I have an inspection port just in front of my fuel tank in the rear of my vsea..it off to one side and I use it to drop a bilge pump in to drain any water that gets in if im on the water for extended periods..i intend to install a full time pump in there but havnt got around to it yet..i installed ports in front of the bases i put in my easyrider I used to own .it let me put alloy plates under the bases and made it rock solid by spreading the load over a larger area...mark the ports hole drill a few holes and cut out with a jigsaw with the blade cut shorter so you don't hit the hull underneath and do damage then sikaflex and screw it down..voila..rick