Mitta Mitta River trout trip 2017

luderick -angler

Hi all been bush for the last fortnight in the Mitta Mitta Valley and the hills chasing trout. Was tough going as they let the water go for most of the trip to satisfy the city folks demand for aircon to run the turbines for the hydro! What did we ever do without aircon????? 

Still the fishing was great early morning and late arvo sessions were the trouts prime feed times, Reg picked up a few good browns early in the trip and I got into a lot of small fish in the little streams on the dry. On the last day the river dropped from 3000 megs to under 900 megs and I could nymph my favourite fast water boulder runs. The one run yesterday afternoon produced six good fish 3 browns and to my surprise 3 rainbows two of exceptional size for this low down the river.  I knocked a couple for a feed to bring home and when I upended them up full of stick caddis and white caddis! 

Its just awesome being in the bushchasing wild trout!!!! Now watch out luderick....

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

1 hour ago, savit said:

Nice report and thank you for the photos.

Just wondering what rod weight and line did you use?

Mate I was using a 5 weight rod (sage one) with scientific Angler's mastery gpx taper 5 weight line. Absolute cannon of a package good in close and at distance and in the wind 

10 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great report and pics Royce. Should have called in LOL. BN

Firstly thanks all for the replies it was an awesome recharge and get away! Big Neil at the time we were heading through it may have been a bit rude to drop in lol!!!! I do though wa

t to arrange a cod trip with the boys down there soon chasing them on fly! 

Nice fish mate, Im glad you got a few.

Its funny, last week on the radio they were talking about the increased demands on the power grid, and how do you increase output? Just put more coal on the fire? Never thought about the hydro and how that would affect the fishing.

"Stick a dry in that fishes mouth and say they are taking dries..." Haha

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

Nice fish mate, Im glad you got a few.

Its funny, last week on the radio they were talking about the increased demands on the power grid, and how do you increase output? Just put more coal on the fire? Never thought about the hydro and how that would affect the fishing.

"Stick a dry in that fishes mouth and say they are taking dries..." Haha

And mend that line and mend it again that's right.....

12 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

Firstly thanks all for the replies it was an awesome recharge and get away! Big Neil at the time we were heading through it may have been a bit rude to drop in lol!!!! I do though wa

t to arrange a cod trip with the boys down there soon chasing them on fly! 

That would be an incredible experience Royce. BN