How to split up frozen squid bait block !!

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

Has anyone figured out how to easily split up a 2kg frozen squid bait block??

I've been told there's a general shortage of frozen bait squid in Sydney . So  the local bait supplies near where I live are only stocking US sourced food grade 2.2kg blocks of squid at $27 a pop.

For me 2kg is way too much to take out on a trip and its a waste to throw the unused portion out... so I'm looking for best advice on how to chunk this down without losing the quality of the remaining bait chunks.

I've tried a few things like smashing the block on concrete ...but looking at any shared experiences! Someone is sure to have cracked this problem with a simple and effective solution.

Cheers

Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
corrections and additions

Guest Guest123456789

Use the fridge. 12 hours and they will still be mostly frozen but thawed enough to seperate without breaking. You could just leave them at room temperature but they will begin to perish and smell. Make sure it's airtight or the odour will irritate the wife.

I'll give the slow thaw fridge method a go... keeping the missus happy is a must so will use the garage beer fridge - hence only my mates will be irritated by the fish smelling beer bottles .... could be a side benefit - maybe they'll drink less or bring their own to share !

Guest Guest123456789

Hahaha and the added benefit of the smell deterring the ladies from the general garage area. Might have to get a beer fridge myself now.

I use the caveman method of belting a Chinese chopper with a length of hardwood,works ok.Hope you check the package for the origin of the squid,all I can find lately are Product of China masquerading as USA under the well known US brand name.

i literally just use my hands to rip them apart after 10 minutes of sitting on the bench. I use the granite table top for leverage. Any unused squid I take home and freeze and reuse as either burley or bait which usually works really well for some reason haha

Guest Guest123456789
19 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

ok so gave the fridge method a go...no noticable smells.... just finished splitting up the block into 4 rectangular chinese takaway containers all good...seems to be the way to go... Thanks flatheadluke !

No worries glad it worked for you :)

2 hours ago, Roylo said:

Same. And make sure it's on centre and close to the end so it doesn't spin in the current. Test it before dropping down. 

ive caught fish on a 5mm x 2cm piece of squid, if fish are hungry, they won't be fussy hahaha also gotten kings on a 2cm strip of baby squid LOL fish are so damn unpredictable :'(