Sydney drains

Surfacejunky

This response does not meet your estuarine criteria but could do much worse than the entrances to lagoons tucked in behind many Sydney ocean beaches, or other storm water out flows in similar spots.

Good rainfall will open the lagoons and all sorts of bait fish and other stuff will flow out and in to the nearest gutter where all your usual candidates will be waiting. 

I remember hearing stories of my great uncle fishing from the southern sydney cliff tops above the old ocean outfalls before modern sewerage treatment plants came in. Back then storm water and sewer were all mixed together and dumped out, schools of tailor used to be in such a frenzy that an unbaited set of gangs would get you a few bucket loads of fish in a big rain event.

There are plenty of canals around the inner west of Sydney. With the recent/ current rains they will be flowing. Earthworms are a gun bait. They get flooded out of the ground and washed into the drains- canals and the fish are just waiting for them.

2 minutes ago, Short said:

This response does not meet your estuarine criteria but could do much worse than the entrances to lagoons tucked in behind many Sydney ocean beaches, or other storm water out flows in similar spots.

Good rainfall will open the lagoons and all sorts of bait fish and other stuff will flow out and in to the nearest gutter where all your usual candidates will be waiting. 

I remember hearing stories of my great uncle fishing from the southern sydney cliff tops above the old ocean outfalls before modern sewerage treatment plants came in. Back then storm water and sewer were all mixed together and dumped out, schools of tailor used to be in such a frenzy that an unbaited set of gangs would get you a few bucket loads of fish in a big rain event.

Yeah mate, similar theory but in the estuaries the bream love the run off from a rain and sit and wait for bugs and bait to be sucked out! I know of a few but trying to find some more!

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

There are plenty of canals around the inner west of Sydney. With the recent/ current rains they will be flowing. Earthworms are a gun bait. They get flooded out of the ground and washed into the drains- canals and the fish are just waiting for them.

Can you share any of their locations mate? Im looking for the drains themselves 

you could try emailing Sydney Water - they'd know

before fishing near the Lane Cove weir was banned, the overflow there was an ace bream spot after rain.

Edited by HenryR

2 hours ago, Ryder said:

Massey Park Golf Club. The canal enters Exile Bay in Concord, a good spot for flathead.

Good spot for bream too. Blackwattle bay has a couple of drains running into it and is worth a throw.

Guest Guest123456789

I did some googling. This link might help:

https://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/how-we-manage-sydney-s-water/wastewater-network/epa-reports/wastewater-treatment-plants/index.htm

if you click on the 'licence limits' link it tells you the address of the sewerage treatment plant. I'm guessing there are overflow outlets nearby that will attract fish???

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

I did some googling. This link might help:

https://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/how-we-manage-sydney-s-water/wastewater-network/epa-reports/wastewater-treatment-plants/index.htm

if you click on the 'licence limits' link it tells you the address of the sewerage treatment plant. I'm guessing there are overflow outlets nearby that will attract fish???

They are the sewerage treatments plants/wastewater treatment plants (STP/WWTP) across the Sydney network. These days they rarely have overflow events excepts in the most severe rainfall events like last year's 300mm storm. Even then the overflow water is very well screened/filtered and far enough through the process that there is nothing left for any fish or even prawn to chew on. There are a few rare exceptions like Turimetta and Diamond Bay outfalls I believe. I am fortunate enough to visit STP's on a regular basis for work!!

For fishing storm water drains would be the go catching everything from roofes, gardens, streets, fast food car parks etc. The only thing standing between the source and the harbour/ocean would be the occasional gross pollutant trap that would catch a shopping trolley and not much smaller.

a second thumbs up

On 05/03/2017 at 0:00 PM, PaddyT said:

hop onto the Windsor Bait and Tackle youtube videos- as well as the minicreek bass stuff those guys do a fair bit of drain luring for bream- in some very unexpected places.

a second thumbs up for the Windsor Bait and Tackle drain vids - pretty near my favourite thing on all of youtube

on the sewage note: I talked to a guy last last year who told me; from time to time the toilets in the park at the back of Illagwong Bay (Colan anc Candle Creek) leak. It's the primo time to chase blackfish there. How's that for a hot tip?

Another drain is where Iron Cove Creek runs under Timbrell Drive, in Russel Lea. I've never tried it but drive past there enough to know that it does get fished moderately regulary. Has been people there this week ...

Just round the corner, there's Hawthorne Canal. I used to live very near there. Wasn't fishing at the time and it doesn't look like a great spot but .... under the bridge there (City West Link and the Lilyfield Rd footbridge) I have seen the water thick with baby prawns