Weekend away with the kids (tuna)

JonD

Just been up north with the kids, the fishing was full on for the amount of time we wet lines. Within minutes of getting out through an incredibly nasty little bar we were confronted by schools of tuna busting in every direction.

Light 10lb spin gear was the first to be deployed which kept the kids highly amused as their little 4000 sized reels screamed in all directions. Lures were in the 5g-20g with most hook ups coming from the smaller 5g lures as the bait the tuna were feeding on were tiny.

Offshore the kids had seen several spanish mackerel and wahoo as they drift snorkelled over some of the Solitary island reefs. We tried trolling bigger lures for the wahoo and macks but constantly got triple hook ups on small yellowfin, to the point we stopped fishing as we were damaging so many small fish.

We swam among numerous turtles rays and sharks that hopefully my daughter will make a video from but heres a few fish from the session. By the way my son doesn't  come out to often due to seasickness but he was thrilled to get the biggest yellowfin and trag.

Jon

_MG_8700_zpsi10lppvp.jpg  

_MG_8707_zpssphhmey1.jpg

_MG_8714_zpsdzdihflr.jpg

_MG_8717_zpsgxwq9c51.jpg

_MG_8747_zpsfnkc1mbx.jpg

_MG_8767_zpsdjk3diqu.jpg

Well done Jon.

Great pics as usual. The kids would have had a blast on those speedsters.

It's a beautiful part of the world. Are you heading any further north?

Mind if I ask what lures you were using for trolling?

Cheers,

Grant.

59 minutes ago, Jewhunter said:

Well done Jon.

Great pics as usual. The kids would have had a blast on those speedsters.

It's a beautiful part of the world. Are you heading any further north?

Mind if I ask what lures you were using for trolling?

Cheers,

Grant.

For trolling I was being a tight arse and not wanting to lose my xraps to mackerel and wahoo so used halco lasers in 160 and 190 size. I tried a mix of colours to see what worked best but it didn't seem to matter as every lure got smashed, dropped down from four rods to three but even managing three fish at a time was hard going so eventually just trolled two.

The only time we didn't get hookups was when I tried short 64 lb single strand wire, hence the reason for using halco's at half the price (save my xxxraps for less toothy prey). By the way I don't have much knowledge on mackerel fishing, the locals seemed to be getting plenty on baits.

Jon

Used to go to Wooli every school holidays as a kid, easily my favourite part of the world. Good work on the tuna, slow trolling live slimeys is the go to for the Barrie's. Plenty of good kings and snapper up that way as well

ive fished Minnie for years  its a safe launch spot..the only time you have trouble is high tide with big swell ..the swells push over the front rocks of the lagoon and bang up on the beach where you launch in corner of lagoon..depends on size of your boat as well..we usually run vsea or milligan..some guys launch 6mtr plus but it depends on how good you are at beach launches..rick

Last time we were up the sand was very soft at Minnie, but have also launched there previously. The bar at Wooli is not the worst you really just have to pick your days, head back in before the nor Easter blows up

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

ive fished Minnie for years  its a safe launch spot..the only time you have trouble is high tide with big swell ..the swells push over the front rocks of the lagoon and bang up on the beach where you launch in corner of lagoon..depends on size of your boat as well..we usually run vsea or milligan..some guys launch 6mtr plus but it depends on how good you are at beach launches..rick

I was going to launch at Minnie water but my Prado lost so much power I was worried it may not pull the boat out if the sand was soft. Ive been told I need a new fuel pump, injectors and possibly a turbo (7500-$8000), fuel consumption was around 21lt per 100km. made for a painful 2000km drive.

if anyone wants to launch at Minnie the main things to make it easier are to launch as close to the rocks in the southern corner as possible and BE QUICK..ive seen so many people bogged because they stuff around for that long its not funny...if the tide is up and too much swell...we beach the boat when we have the trailer lined up then attach rope off trailer and drag boat 5 or 6 mtrs up the sand away from the water then back and winch the trailer under boat..it seems scary but its quite easy..the fishing out of Minnie is unbelievable..sandon shoals  wilsons nth solitary  wide reefs  endless reefs covered in reds trag jew mackerel cobes...list goes on   I luv the place..rick

• Like 1

I'd be a bit concerned about my sidescan transducer which is attached under the hull. My boat is a very quick launch and retrieve setup, thanks to the kids boat handling skills.

that's one of the things to keep in mind..i flip my transducer up before I beach and being the only person left in the boat when I beach it it always lays to the drivers side so my bait pickup doesn't drag in the sand...normally its back in quick drive on  hookup drive out  minute and half tops...take too long start sinking trailer wheels...its worth the hassle as the fishing is primo..rick

2 hours ago, MV Sunray said:

Hey Jon great report, good to see the yellowfin in so close. Nice looking specimens those chuuuuna! Did you keep the mac tuna? 

We kept that big one as bait and burley but released dozens of smaller ones. It's hard to release bigger fish in the water without getting hooks in your hand or maybe even punchering the RIB.

13 hours ago, Adsy91 said:

Hey Jon you're not interesting in another son by any chance are ya?

I do my chores and don't eat much!

?

The older lad seems to of adopted himself to our family, he's barely capable of whipping his butt!....you're hired:D