Jig head sizes

MattGb1989

Guest Guest123456789

Buy a bunch of different sizes and experiment. Expensive but it's the best way. Just bear in mind you want enough exposed hook and it should be about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the SP. Think about it in terms of the fish you're targeting and where they are likely to strike the SP and you can't go wrong. Also think about the speed of the current and where you want to present the lure (suspended, surface or near the bottom).

Thanks heaps for the advice guys, will be heading to the shop on my next day off and stocking up on the jig heads iv got a few sizes atm but am mainly using the grubs atm, took advantage on a 3 for 27 sale that's on atm so have a few different types and size SPS on their way. Again thanks heaps guys hopefully I'll get the hang of the sp's soon and have some luck.

Cheers,

Brownie 

I wouldnt go over 3/0 size hook for 3-4" soft plastic. I have some 4" shads that I use a 3/0 worm hook with that fits perfectly. But when using 3" gulp shrimp sometimes a 1/0 can even seem too big.

Are you land based or boat? That will have a big impact too cause on a boat you need weight to get it down but land based you want as little as possibl cause you are generally very shallow.

For estuary dont go over 1/8 ounce. For beach and rock go heavier than 1/8 ounce.

22 minutes ago, BrassRoots said:

I wouldnt go over 3/0 size hook for 3-4" soft plastic. I have some 4" shads that I use a 3/0 worm hook with that fits perfectly. But when using 3" gulp shrimp sometimes a 1/0 can even seem too big.

Are you land based or boat? That will have a big impact too cause on a boat you need weight to get it down but land based you want as little as possibl cause you are generally very shallow.

For estuary dont go over 1/8 ounce. For beach and rock go heavier than 1/8 ounce.

Thanks heaps for that, yeah i bought some heavier jigs when I first had a go but it was obvious that when land based the lighter the better. Unfortunately I am land based so I'll keep in mind that in all areas smaller/lighter is best. Cheers for the advise.

Cheers

Brownie

• 1 month later...

I have some memory, that 2g head to 1 m water. So if you fishin 10m deep, use 20g head. But... many times little "over light" head fishing better, becouse slide is longer on water. Anf ofcource depens if it any stream/rapid. I use on river 5-8m deep water 10-17g head.

About hook size: Before i did use hook size 1/0 -2/0 to 2.5"-4.5" softplastic. Then i did stupid mistake, i did buy lot of 3/0-6/0 heads. No good, hook is so strong, that you cant pulling back if is stuck to some logg or rock, and you proken line everytime. 1/0 and 2/0  hooks it little softer, and you can pull hook little bit straight, save you softplastic,  fixed hook with plyer and continue fishing. If i need bigger/longer hook, i "double hooked", but i never buy anymore over 2/0 hooks for zanders and perch. For pike i can still use max 6/0  hooks.