Inspecting BMT pt 4

Fab1

Other things that should be checked are the trailers electrics,lights,rollers,skids,brakes,coupling,jockey wheel,spare are all there working and in good condition.image.jpgHere I'm showing my boat as an example.When you inspect any boat look to make sure that cap is on the winch post as some have them missing which will lead to water and crap accumulating in the bottom of the post which will rust it out which can eventually lead to it breaking off.Also ensure you pull out all the webbing/cable/rope from your winch drum to be able to have a good look at the material for frays,cuts,broken strands,etc,etc.

They will usually snap/break right at the hook for the bow eye as this is where most of the strain,wear and sun damage occur.A tip after washing your boat is to release the strap and let it air dry to prevent a rusty winch drum which I always do.

Also check all u/bolts holding the winch to the winch post are tight and secure working the winch in its full range.image.jpgIn my opinion this is one of the most important parts of a trailer,the winch post base plate and u/bolts.Again there is a huge amount of strain put on this area when towing and braking as all that boat behind you wants to push fwd.Make sure there is no cracked welds or corrosion and the u/bolts are in good condition and tight.image.jpgAgain these are the crossmember welds.These are fitted with your boats rollers/skids and support the entire down weight of the boat above them.You don't want any cracks/rust in these for obvious reasons.

Thats just the basics guys as I could go on forever and can only add a few photos each time due to space constraints.

Next up will be hulls in both glass and alloy.

Cheers.

Awsome thread on boat trailers.

A lot of what you mentioned goes unchecked by a lot of new boat owners.

Another thing that a mate of mine       (him being a towtruck driver)        brought to my attention was the winch post!    And boat tie downs.

Ive never heard i Of it happening but he had. 

was the winch post is nearly always held on by 2 mild steel  U bolts.

He told me of a few accidents he had attended where a truck or large 4x4 had ran up the back of a boat at speed and the impact of the collision had sheered the 2 ubolts. And snapped a single boat  tie down or rope Shunting the boat straight on top or into the back of the tow vehicle.

The shock of that got me thinking that these 2 ubolts need replacing with hardened steel bolts and a 10mm steel plate on the underside of the winch post as well as a decent sized V securing the front of the boat.

A winch with a strap on the winch post with a load rated d shackle secured to the boat eye. (Instead of an open hook.)

As well as large truck rachet straps front and back of the trailer holding down the boat.

Ive just about finnished these mods to my rig.

Im not saying this will stop this type of accident .

But it will maybe just hold the trailer and boat together a lot better in a situation.

Just thought id share his and my thoughts on this 

Cheers 

Picture found on net as example.

Winch post on road just under rear of truck

But i guess there is nothing that can be done if boat towing vehile is in stationary traffic with a vehicle in front??

But in the case of a fishtailing boat towing vehicle, In rain etc the extra tie downs etc could just hold the rig together. Untill a safe slow down and stop is initiated.

Screenshot_20170320-123221.png

Edited by Trailcraft43
Added info.

42 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Awsome thread on boat trailers.

A lot of what you mentioned goes unchecked by a lot of new boat owners.

Another thing that a mate of mine       (him being a towtruck driver)        brought to my attention was the winch post!    And boat tie downs.

Ive never heard i Of it happening but he had. 

was the winch post is nearly always held on by 2 mild steel  U bolts.

He told me of a few accidents he had attended where a truck or large 4x4 had ran up the back of a boat at speed and the impact of the collision had sheered the 2 ubolts. And snapped a single boat  tie down or rope Shunting the boat straight on top or into the back of the tow vehicle.

The shock of that got me thinking that these 2 ubolts need replacing with hardened steel bolts and a 10mm steel plate on the underside of the winch post as well as a decent sized V securing the front of the boat.

A winch with a strap on the winch post with a load rated d shackle secured to the boat eye. (Instead of an open hook.)

As well as large truck rachet straps front and back of the trailer holding down the boat.

Ive just about finnished these mods to my rig.

Im not saying this will stop this type of accident .

But it will maybe just hold the trailer and boat together a lot better in a situation.

Just thought id share his and my thoughts on this 

Cheers 

Picture found on net as example.

Winch post on road just under rear of truck

But i guess there is nothing that can be done if boat towing vehile is in stationary traffic with a vehicle in front??

But in the case of a fishtailing boat towing vehicle, In rain etc the extra tie downs etc could just hold the rig together. Untin a safe slow down and stop is initiated.

Screenshot_20170320-123221.png

Yes people don't realise the stress that winch post is under.Especially under severe braking or being shunted from behind.It doesn't matter what winch strap you have as it's attached to the winch post and won't hold anything when braking or being shunted.

The best thing for this is to have a chain running from the bow eye back to the trailer to avoid forward movement during the above like I have here.image.jpgimage.jpgThe winch strap just helps a bit with rearward movement of the vessel and so does the safety chain.What stops the rearward movement of the boat is the rear tie downs if they are individual ones on each transom corner.

Single straps over the rear of the boat won't prevent rearward movement  as good as individual straps as they really on downward pressure and can cave in the hull on lighter aluminium boats if tensioned to tight.

Cheers. 

26 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Good idea.

But ive also seen those turnbuckles snap. As most are cast.

I might do the same with A chain the exact length and 2 yellow pin d shackles

Yes,the cheaper turnbuckles are cast and useless.Mines a old solid steel one I use for my tinny.