St George's Basin - Tips

Wellzy94

Hey Raiders,

I'm heading down south Sat/Sun over Easter with some friends, and we plan on doing some land-based fishing while we're there. For some reason, they're under the impression I'm some sort of guru and we're going to catch bucketloads of fish...

Anyone able to point me in the right direction in terms of what will produce in St George's Basin?

Cheers,

Wellzy

Fishing The Basin land based is all about shallow flats fishing and plenty of wading, so pack in your favourite shallow running hard bodies and light weighted plastics. Concentrate on bream and take flathead and whiting as a bycatch.

Paradise Beach at Sanctuary Point is a good place to start but there's plenty of access to the flats all over the place. Check out google earth and you'll find plenty of options.

Good luck.

• 5 years later...

I've checked out the basin along Ellmoos Rd - coming from the Erowal Bay side.

Tried shore-based fishing a few spots along there from where Ellmoos gets closer to the water to around halfway down the rd,

Definitely fish caught there given the scales i saw but all spots were very weedy from the shore.

I'm guessing i need to wade out past the weed to get to fishable spots

3 hours ago, BelAir said:

I've checked out the basin along Ellmoos Rd - coming from the Erowal Bay side.

Tried shore-based fishing a few spots along there from where Ellmoos gets closer to the water to around halfway down the rd,

Definitely fish caught there given the scales i saw but all spots were very weedy from the shore.

I'm guessing i need to wade out past the weed to get to fishable spots

You can’t wade out past the weed because it starts on the edge of the drop off and runs out to the 4 meter mark.  
What you can do, if you’re a lure fisherman, is throw surface lures over and around the gaps in the weed as it’s a pretty good area for bream, whiting and the occasional flathead. Definitely fishes best in low light or with plenty of wind chop on the water and to get good results you need to move around a lot. 
Further down Ellmoos Rd there are access points to some pretty good beach fishing spots and some fishos bring their catch back to area you’re referring to clean them. That could explain some of the scales you’re seeing.

• Like 1