Overhead reel

RossW

Hi guys,

I have a 9 foot overhead spinning rod and looking for a reel for it.

It will be used for general beach fishing (flathead, bream & tailor) and occasionally spinning.

The reels I am considering are. Diawa millionaire 300. Shimano corvalus 400 & Abu 6600 spooled with about 14lb line. Anything larger would not be balanced.

looking for your thoughts on the reels mentioned and also would you suggest using braid.

cheers

I use an ABU C4-6600 for throwing metals from the beach at tailor and salmon and it is a very competent reel for that.

My advice is if you want to go with braid, choose a stiff line like Fireline. I can cast that stuff all day long no worries, but once I spooled up with a soft, 8 strand braid and had birds nest after birds nest, even on gentle casts.

These days I'm happy to fish with a 6kg, low stretch mono.

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

I use an ABU C4-6600 for throwing metals from the beach at tailor and salmon and it is a very competent reel for that.

My advice is if you want to go with braid, choose a stiff line like Fireline. I can cast that stuff all day long no worries, but once I spooled up with a soft, 8 strand braid and had birds nest after birds nest, even on gentle casts.

These days I'm happy to fish with a 6kg, low stretch mono.

I too spooled up a couple of my O/H's with thin braid, same again, even with more tension on spool, "Birds Nests" , went to a heavier Braid and no problems since...

How ever, I did de-spool my ABU 7000 which had 40lb PP on it, and went back to 20lb mono..

Great_White

I would be going for mono for the reason outlined above. About 0.35 mm would be a good choice, which usually corresponds to 15 lb b/s. Platypus make a low stretch mono for lure fishing which is also quite fine for it's b/s, so you get somewhat the advantages associated with braid but the handling advantages of mono.  

The Daiwa slosh 20 are fantastic little reels, I've even used them on small kings 6-7kg, they cast extremely well and have a fast retrieve which is good from the shore. My big Jews and sharks were all taken on these reels from the shore when I lived in Sydney.

Jon

Thanks for your replies.

Got the ABU 6600 Stx. What a great little reel and is perfectly balanced on my rod.

I put some 14lb line on off an old reel I had but it has sooo much stretch.

90% of my fishing is with bait so looking to spool it with 8kg or 6kg either platypus Lo stretch or platinum. 

What do you think?

4 hours ago, RossW said:

Thanks for your replies.

Got the ABU 6600 Stx. What a great little reel and is perfectly balanced on my rod.

I put some 14lb line on off an old reel I had but it has sooo much stretch.

90% of my fishing is with bait so looking to spool it with 8kg or 6kg either platypus Lo stretch or platinum. 

What do you think?

I'd probably go for the platypus Platinum. It's a nice handling soft line, fine for it's b/s but with good knot strength. It has an average amount of stretch which is probably not a bad thing off the beach. A bit of give in the system is a good thing when fighting a fish with also the wave surge to contend with.