Missed the target by one fish-Thursday night on Maroubra beach

wchh

Will have a few friends coming over this Friday, got the permission to go fishing with a special instruction attached: need 6 fish for the table as there will be 6 adults for the backyard party.

It was about 8pm when I arrived at the beach. The bait I had was a few pillies left over from last weekend and really soft/messy after re-freezing. There were a few sparse drizzles around and I had to keep an eye on the sky. Anyway when saw the cloud became a bit dark and left the beach just before 10pm, I had five fish in the bucket. Did not fulfill the target but not too far off either. The 5th fish was a dart which is not in the photo.

Charles

IMG_5574.JPG

10 hours ago, BrassRoots said:

That's some nice work. Have you ever tried lures at Maroubra? It's around the corner from me but I dont have the patience for bait fishing on the beach. Keen to hear if you have had any luck.

I tried metal a few times for tailor after got bitten off. It worked OK, probably because tailors were there in big number when I tried. In general I prefer bait (pilchard or cut up tailor) fishing better on the beach as you can catch all kinds of fish. 

Nice feed from Maroubra as usual wchh!
I gave Maroubra a spin a week back and it was really difficult to spot gutters for some reason. Ended up fishing some random spot and didn't get any bites.

Any tips on locating gutters? 

Thanks mate!

Edited by Richard2q2

7 hours ago, Novicefisherman said:

Its easier to spot gutters from a high vantage point

Yeah I tried to but at Marourbra Beach particualarly the waves are so, how can I put this, fast? They crash everywhere and there is no apparent gutter when I try to find one.

The gutter in Maroubra does move around a bit due to wave actions. I went last Sunday and saw two reasonable gutters. One was at the north end of the beach and the other was at the south end right in front of the surfing club.

I normally go a bit earlier when there is still a bit of daylight and the tide is less than half full. Another trick is: if it was totally dark or tide is full, look for the signage of " dangerous current " left there by the life savers and try about 50 meters left or right of the signage.

21 hours ago, wchh said:

The gutter in Maroubra does move around a bit due to wave actions. I went last Sunday and saw two reasonable gutters. One was at the north end of the beach and the other was at the south end right in front of the surfing club.

I normally go a bit earlier when there is still a bit of daylight and the tide is less than half full. Another trick is: if it was totally dark or tide is full, look for the signage of " dangerous current " left there by the life savers and try about 50 meters left or right of the signage.

Great tip on the signage

Fufu