First Bream Fishing Tournament

brecko90

Hi Everyone,

Myself and my brother finally bought a tournament fishing boat, just a 2010 Quintrex Hornet Trophy 500, not as fancy as some but was able to get a good deal and its a good start for our first tournament boat.

We will be fishing our first Event at Forster in the Berkley Super Series then having a crack at some other bream events throughout the rest of the year.

My main reason for making this post was to just ask a few questions:

• Does anyone have any experience fishing tournaments and what advise/tips would you give us,
  • Tips on bream fishing Forster? We went up a month ago for a look at the area and practice where we did OK with the first morning in 5 hours getting a bag of 5 bream to approx 2.8kgs, then that afternoon we set ourselves another 5 hours and had a bag of approx 3.5kgs. The next day we only managed 2 legal bream in the morning 6 hours, not sure why but they had gone off the bite. But we only fished the lower areas of the lake, oyster leases and weed flats, we never made it up to wallis lake so still have no idea what is up there!
  • We need a team name, as we have no sponsors or anything like that,  we were thinking maybe we could go under the name Team Fishradier and represent the website? I'm unsure if someone already does this but i thought i would ask before we did anything.
  • Finally we are trying to build up our lure collection, so i was hoping to compile a bit of a list of peoples favorite bream lures so we can get our selection up, we mainly use soft plastic as we can rig them weedless when fishing for bream. 

So all in all that is about it at the moment until the 27th-28th of may when we hit Forster, i will post our results and photos of how we go for anyone that is interested, and just remember we are always happy to help fisho's out! We are by no means experts, but we have had some success with the bream so people who are just starting out or want to know anything please do not hesitate to ask us anything, as we are always happy to help.

Below is the boat we will be using. 

13394181_285044798505197_8587892674256990632_n.jpg?oh=fd1979acf1d0dfe3e41a9a3696304f7d&oe=599522AA

An observer or a non-boater would be an excellent way to get access to actual tournament fishermen. One of my fishing mates went on the Pittwater leg of the recent ABT round and said that it was a very worthwhile experience. 

Matt

A couple of lures worth adding

Cranka crabs in the light and heavy weight, cast them up against structure like oyster racks and bridge pylons and let them sink down they can really be a turning point during a slow day

Ecogear sx40 and strikepro pygmy are my other go to bream lures especially around the flats and structure like rock walls and fallen trees

try and think outside the box the bream will be seeing a lot of lures and techniques so try and do something different

good luck

Dave

we found a stack of gulp crabbys in a 5 dollar bin at bcf before the trip and loaded up on the bob, great little sp!

Cheers Dave, any specific colours you like in those lures that you recommend? We will definitely vary our approach we found plenty of good spots when we were up there but then found what we thought might be hidden gems like structure down deep and a few fallen trees on the bottom so have them as well as we figure the oyster leases are going to cop a hammering!

Cheers rick, we didn't get to fish them but had a look along there while getting a feed and looked like a great spot, the current was ripping hard through there though, But that's great info and will include that in the plan.

I used to fish tournaments a while back for several years and I would advise if you want to start is join ABT and fish tournaments as a non boater for the rest of this year and as well as that do as much bream fishing in your boat as possible but fish tournament hours 7am - 2pm I have a few bream lures but there is no magic one you just need to match the lure to the conditions and what available food is in the area 

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:30 AM, brecko90 said:

we found a stack of gulp crabbys in a 5 dollar bin at bcf before the trip and loaded up on the bob, great little sp!

Cheers Dave, any specific colours you like in those lures that you recommend? We will definitely vary our approach we found plenty of good spots when we were up there but then found what we thought might be hidden gems like structure down deep and a few fallen trees on the bottom so have them as well as we figure the oyster leases are going to cop a hammering!

with the crabs my favorite is the vampire crab and the fiddler

go for something natural looking in the sx40's