Which Reel Pflueger/ Shimano or Abu Garcia

jeffb5.8

I would like to upgrade my old cheap Shimano Sienna which has served well.

Do I go a 
Pflueger Salt or 
Shimano Ultegra or 
Abu Garcia Revo S 30 reel which is $65 cheaper

Looking at a 2500 sized reel, I'm leaning towards the Pflueger.

I reckon its a hard choice Jeff.

I think Shimano's are expensive but I have never had a problem with them.

The Flueger Salt range are very well rated however , It could just be me but I have had a few problems with Pflueger reels - one salt model that the main shaft  bent slightly .. I guess I must have damaged it somehow but I can't for the life of me remember dropping it or anything. Apart from that I have never damage a reel is such a way.

Another where little annoying things happened like the little line retainer on the spool fell off. Minor I know but still...

Abu Garcia have a good reputation but I have never owned one.

Personally, I can't recall ever having a problem with a Shimano reel even when I was less than careful with them.

I guess if the price is an issue then at some stage you have to try another brand but it seems what you might be saying is that a Shimano has served you well for a long time so you are thinking of changing brands...

Pflueger reels was my first real change in reel brands ... I did it to save money at the time but I have gone back to Shimano.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers

JIm

Hey Jim

Thanks for the reply

i asked the same question to a mate who I know only buys top quality gear and he said stick with Shimano for ease of service and he and I have never had a issue with Shimano.

So I will be a one Brand man looks like the Ultegra will be my upgrade Reel.

Which means I can service myself after watching the videos on Fishraider.

thanks

Jeff

these days shimano daiwa penn pflueger and so on all have quality reels..i own all of the above and generally buy on how the reel feels..all reels have different ergonomics ..big handle small handle bail roller size bearing in bail roller drag knob size   too many variables..i have three reels I use for cod all different brands all good reels.hard part is picking which one to use..put a few reels on a rod at shop and feel what they are like to wind..rick

Guest Guest123456789
On 29/04/2017 at 11:21 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

these days shimano daiwa penn pflueger and so on all have quality reels..i own all of the above and generally buy on how the reel feels..all reels have different ergonomics ..big handle small handle bail roller size bearing in bail roller drag knob size   too many variables..i have three reels I use for cod all different brands all good reels.hard part is picking which one to use..put a few reels on a rod at shop and feel what they are like to wind..rick

+ 1 there. Often its how much discount you can negotiate, from time to time each manufacturer has sales and/or a large online store discounts heavily which you can use to get better pricing in store and/or they bring out a new model and run out the old model. Main things are NO anti reverse, carbon fibre drag and at least 5 +1 bearings.

Out of the three listed I would probably lean towards the Shimano, seems like the really small reels the Shimano's hold up a bit better IMO. 

Edited by Guest123456789

Thanks Guys

i will be getting a new Shimano Ultegra, it's should be a decent upgrade from my Shimano Solstace (Always thought it was a Sienna) which has been a great Reel for me learning the ropes.

• 1 month later...

Just to complete this I ended up Purchasing the Shimano Stradic FK Hg in 2500 and 4000 sizes as they were on special for $199ea.

Should be a nice little upgrade from my old 2500 set up.

Edited by jeffb5.8

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/06/2017 at 1:54 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

Just to complete this I ended up Purchasing the Shimano Stradic FK Hg in 2500 and 4000 sizes as they were on special for $199ea.

Should be a nice little upgrade from my old 2500 set up.

If anyone finds a Stradic 4000 and Shimano Cantana Rod in the harbour it will be mine, got hammered by a side wave, front wave from a very large cruiser going flatout and a tanker / tug boats. Just past Cockatoo island and before blues point Southside..

The new rod and reel unused was in a multi rod holder (Snapper rack type) and must have slipped out.I had it on the floor tucked away but was worried the tip might break.

So wish they floated but straight to Neptune's grave

So gutted