Caught these six and dropped 4 others.

IMG_1752.JPG

Guest Guest123456789
6 minutes ago, geshy said:

Haven or skillion champ?

I put the boat in. 

Guest Guest123456789
12 hours ago, JonD said:

Keep at it there are some big horses out there, my daughter got a 1.30m model on Sunday.

Thanks Jon. 1.3 that's a screamer well done. Do you think it's fair to say the big boys are best to target where they spawn or out deep? It seems like where I live you have to be lucky to catch a hoodlum in close, most of the big catches I hear of are in sydney harbour, Pittwater or offshore at deep water reefs. I'm planning on taking the little tinny offshore when the temps drop.

This was from 8m of water where it was among several even bigger fish. Going to try some 150 lb braid with 120 lb leaders and lock and load then try to get out into deeper water next time.

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks Jon. 1.3 that's a screamer well done. Do you think it's fair to say the big boys are best to target where they spawn or out deep? It seems like where I live you have to be lucky to catch a hoodlum in close, most of the big catches I hear of are in sydney harbour, Pittwater or offshore at deep water reefs. I'm planning on taking the little tinny offshore when the temps drop.

Biggest king i ever saw was at Winnie Bay- ate a 10lb mack tuna that a mate of mine spun up like it was a jelly bean- I know the mack tuna was 10 lb because we had a double hook up and I got mine in- there are plenty of big kings around where you are Luke-use one of those bonnies as a livie and see how you go.

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

I found some solid hoodlums the other day off Broken Bay in around 20 meters and couldn't stop them on 80lb leader we got smoked three times 

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

Biggest king i ever saw was at Winnie Bay- ate a 10lb mack tuna that a mate of mine spun up like it was a jelly bean- I know the mack tuna was 10 lb because we had a double hook up and I got mine in- there are plenty of big kings around where you are Luke-use one of those bonnies as a livie and see how you go.

the speedsters like bonito and frigates are harder to use as live baits as they use a lot of oxygen, consequently they die quicker than other common live bait species. It's why you're better off using tuna tubes to keep them alive instead of standard live bait tanks. if I was going to target kings at Winnie using live bait, id use a tailor like a fella did recently to catch a big fish at Avoca rocks. My decky, who sometimes comes with me, did a similar thing to catch what was for a long time the record bluefin tuna in the 70's.

1 hour ago, tyrone07 said:

I found some solid hoodlums the other day off Broken Bay in around 20 meters and couldn't stop them on 80lb leader we got smoked three times 

broken bay has been fishing very well lately hasn't it.

35 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

the speedsters like bonito and frigates are harder to use as live baits as they use a lot of oxygen, consequently they die quicker than other common live bait species. It's why you're better off using tuna tubes to keep them alive instead of standard live bait tanks. if I was going to target kings at Winnie using live bait, id use a tailor like a fella did recently to catch a big fish at Avoca rocks. My decky, who sometimes comes with me, did a similar thing to catch what was for a long time the record bluefin tuna in the 70's.

broken bay has been fishing very well lately hasn't it.

Yes some good reds popping up as well, got a good Jew in Brisbane Waters the other day

Guest Guest123456789
12 minutes ago, tyrone07 said:

Yes some good reds popping up as well, got a good Jew in Brisbane Waters the other day

cool. I might have to visit a tackle store in Erina and empty my wallet.

Guest Guest123456789
3 minutes ago, tyrone07 said:

Haha I know the one very well, I generally fish online these days 

So much stuff that's good online, I like in person personally. Same with poker, lots of friends try to get me into online poker but I prefer in person. Before kids I used to play a lot of tournaments. Often others would give information which were attempts at misleading when actually they just told the table exactly what hand they had. You even knew the exact cards. You can't get that as easily online (still possible but harder).

On 06/05/2017 at 9:41 AM, Regan said:

where abouts did she get it

The bigger models have been away from the big schools hunting around Montague island, the bigger fish we've ecncountered have been in very shallow water. We even had a good sized black Marlin check us out in the shallows recently. When the current is really roaring causing the NE corner to become to hard for most boats to fish is the best time, our rib comes into its own in those conditions.

A mate who runs a scuba business has also seen some jumbo sized fish in the more sheltered bays on the west side, these are in places few would ever consider targeting kings.

There are lots of grey nurse sharks in all locations this year, if you do fish there make sure you know the regulations on sanctuarys etc.

Guest Guest123456789
6 hours ago, Regan said:

how far off terrigal was it

what were you using

If you go to the red buoy at the haven and then bear east from there. They didn't go for the pilchards or metals, the 3 to 5 inch soft plastics lightly weighted (1/8 to 1/4) were the go. One of the rats took a whole squid trolled.