What rigs

blaxland

I'd take....

1 light rod with snap clip attached for eiter a squid jig or metal slice if the surface fish turn up.  Can also clip on a hook to float a bait down or light jig head.

2.  Probably another light rod with either a light running sinker or sinker, swivel and trace 1m or so long.

3 medium outfit for trolling or live baiting.

4 heavyer outfit rigged for live baiting or poor mans down rigging. 

It doesn't take long to change the rigs anyway.   But it's nice to have a squid jig ready for followers and being able to quickly change for bust ups.  Btw I have never fished the harbour

Guest Guest123456789

1 squid jig, 1 knife jig, 1 x 1/8 jig head with a 5 inch shad, 1x 2 hook sliding snell rig with 4/0 circle hooks.

11 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

1 squid jig, 1 knife jig, 1 x 1/8 jig head with a 5 inch shad, 1x 2 hook sliding snell rig with 4/0 circle hooks.

20 hours ago, Welster said:

I'd take....

1 light rod with snap clip attached for eiter a squid jig or metal slice if the surface fish turn up.  Can also clip on a hook to float a bait down or light jig head.

2.  Probably another light rod with either a light running sinker or sinker, swivel and trace 1m or so long.

3 medium outfit for trolling or live baiting.

4 heavyer outfit rigged for live baiting or poor mans down rigging. 

It doesn't take long to change the rigs anyway.   But it's nice to have a squid jig ready for followers and being able to quickly change for bust ups.  Btw I have never fished the harbour

Sounds good to me does  a snap put off squid?

Guest Guest123456789

Go to the local tackle store and ask to see knife jigs. Ask for something that is good to jig in the relatively shallow water of the harbour and also to spin on the surface if you see a school of hungry tailor or pelagics. About 40 grams should be about right. Here is a sliding snell rig, it's used for live baiting squid or bait fish 

7 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Go to the local tackle store and ask to see knife jigs. Ask for something that is good to jig in the relatively shallow water of the harbour and also to spin on the surface if you see a school of hungry tailor or pelagics. About 40 grams should be about right. Here is a sliding snell rig, it's used for live baiting squid or bait fish 

Thanks

1 hour ago, blaxland said:

Sounds good to me does  a snap put off squid?

Some say yes some say no.  But I think in some ways it improves the chances because it's easier to swap jigs if it isn't happening. 

I like the knife jig idea too.  I have also heard of some people using a chrome slice as the weight on a bait jig for an extra option 

Guest Guest123456789

If it's easier just get a 40 gram spanyid raider or similar preferably with the red and white stripe, swap the treble for a 4/0 single hook (owner make great hooks) and add a 3/0 assist hook to the front. Should look something like this. 

Awesome for sydney harbour as you can jig, spin and even hop along a sandy bottom. I've caught kings, Jews, salmon, tailor, tuna and flathead all on this one lure on the bottom, mid water or surface.

IMG_1760.JPG

On 5/6/2017 at 11:12 AM, flatheadluke said:

If it's easier just get a 40 gram spanyid raider or similar preferably with the red and white stripe, swap the treble for a 4/0 single hook (owner make great hooks) and add a 3/0 assist hook to the front. Should look something like this. 

Awesome for sydney harbour as you can jig, spin and even hop along a sandy bottom. I've caught kings, Jews, salmon, tailor, tuna and flathead all on this one lure on the bottom, mid water or surface.

IMG_1760.JPG

Thanks for the info im off to the tackle store next day off :P

Not sure I got it exactly right but im going to give these a go Looks like i need bigger hooks

knifel2.jpg

Guest Guest123456789
28 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Thanks for the info im off to the tackle store next day off :P

Not sure I got it exactly right but im going to give these a go Looks like i need bigger hooks

knifel2.jpg

Both those lures look very good - hook size looks fine. You get better hook ups with bigger hooks but too big can wreck the swimming motion. 4/0 to 5/0, some manufacturers 4/0 are the same size as 5/0 and vice versa. I'd err on the side of small when in doubt.

make sure you tie off on the solid ring in the assist hook to maximise distance between both hooks to stop them getting tangled.

let us know how you go?

2  questions please:

1.Are there suggestions for assist line&hook length - e.g. half or 3/4 of lure length?

2. Is itOK to keep the treble on a lure for for shore jigging? Or it will increase the snag rate?

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Both those lures look very good - hook size looks fine. You get better hook ups with bigger hooks but too big can wreck the swimming motion. 4/0 to 5/0, some manufacturers 4/0 are the same size as 5/0 and vice versa. I'd err on the side of small when in doubt.

make sure you tie off on the solid ring in the assist hook to maximise distance between both hooks to stop them getting tangled.

let us know how you go?

Will do I put an 3/0 on the end of the red one and will give it a decent go hope the fish are there !

27 minutes ago, savit said:

2  questions please:

1.Are there suggestions for assist line&hook length - e.g. half or 3/4 of lure length?

2. Is itOK to keep the treble on a lure for for shore jigging? Or it will increase the snag rate?

I was casting for some rig ideas as I like to have a few ready to go :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 5:04 PM, flatheadluke said:

Oh and the assist hooks can be smaller, maybe 2/0 or thereabouts 

Ha no luck with the jigs so far but had a great day today with a soft vibe I put singles on caught flathead, trevally, flounder and a squid in the same session. But Im sure its just a confidence thing once I get one on the jig Ill be ussing it more often

Guest Guest123456789
13 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Ha no luck with the jigs so far but had a great day today with a soft vibe I put singles on caught flathead, trevally, flounder and a squid in the same session. But Im sure its just a confidence thing once I get one on the jig Ill be ussing it more often

So many variables, find what works for you and go with it I reckon