First proper attempt at plastics

samjames95

Went out today with a mate in Botany Bay, launched in Kurnell at around 9am, armed with only plastics and no bait. 

Fished a few spots till about 2 and ended up with about 15 keeper trevally, though only kept 5 as they're only good fresh, not frozen, a 51cm flathead amongst heaps of throwbacks - also lost a good 60cm+ at the boat, a 31cm tailor with also many throwbacks which was lucky considering how many bit us off and most surprisingly a 32cm whiting. All in all a good day and good start to plastics. Cheers

IMG_7860.JPG

21 hours ago, Rah said:

Well done. That is great success on plastics for your first "proper" attempt. There is no going back now. :)

Cheers

Tara

Yeah its very addictive I wont lie

2 hours ago, ARC H said:

nice fish

Thanks mate

Cracker plastics session in anyone's books. All the more impressive if you're new to the game. Hope your next session is just as hot!

Edit: what set-up/plastics were you using?

Edited by jdanger
Question

On 5/6/2017 at 6:44 AM, big Neil said:

Great result samjames. Fantastic, relatively cheap, way to catch a whole variety of species without the mess that bait often produces. Good onya mate. BN

I agree, its great and I found much better specimens attack the plastics, didnt really catch any 'pickers'

14 hours ago, jdanger said:

Cracker plastics session in anyone's books. All the more impressive if you're new to the game. Hope your next session is just as hot!

Edit: what set-up/plastics were you using?

I hope it is too, I was just using a 1/4 jighead size 2/0

Awesome result. My first time I came home just with less plastics!

If I may ask - were you working the whole water column, or mostly bottom?

On plastics, Ive caught lots of flatties at times but never trevs - wondering if im doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, Gabm said:

Awesome result. My first time I came home just with less plastics!

If I may ask - were you working the whole water column, or mostly bottom?

On plastics, Ive caught lots of flatties at times but never trevs - wondering if im doing something wrong?

Honestly just working the bottom, but I was hit plenty of times on the drop following casting, must've just been luck haha

Good work! I stopped using bait for bread and butter species many years ago now, but when my missus comes out on the river with me, she prefers to cast baits around so I oblige. We've been keeping score, and I've found that plastics out fish baits by plenty.

17 hours ago, spotterone said:

Good work! I stopped using bait for bread and butter species many years ago now, but when my missus comes out on the river with me, she prefers to cast baits around so I oblige. We've been keeping score, and I've found that plastics out fish baits by plenty.

Yeah I agree, inshore plastics definitely outfish any bait as fish are well adapted.. offshore I feel it doesnt matter as much

5 hours ago, fragmeister said:

That is a great effort.

You must have got the plastics in the bite zone and that seems to be the biggest problem faced by SP newbies.

... looks like we wont see you buying servo prawns in the future!

Cheers

Jim

Definitely, I found that almost instantly. Yeah great that its so cheap, baits expensive

4 hours ago, Walker568 said:

good fish, may I ask what plastics you used

thanks mate, just used a dark coloured prawn and yellow paddle tailed gulp

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Good work, plenty of fish to keep you going.

Thanks mate

47 minutes ago, GordoRetired said:

Good work on plastics. I had failed for years to catch anything on them but over the last couple of months have started to get a few. Last time out plastics accounted for 3 flathead which was my Plastic PB. :)

Yeah honestly I never really tried them until a mate introduced me to them of recency, now theyre my go to inshore option