Slide Baiting

GreasePit

G'day Raiders,
Just wanted some advice from anyone who has done a fair bit of slide baiting.
I recently bought some weighted slider rigs mostly for use off of beaches so that i could fish livies in the far gutters without ripping them off the hook with a heavy cast.
I'm running 30lb 8 strand braid so its fairly smooth and i get great distance off the initial cast but when i try and slide my bait down to where the sinker is it only seems to get a quarter of the way or so, which was generally quite close to where the braid made contact with the water.
The bait would sometimes reach maybe 20 odd meters and get swept back into the breakers as soon as a few set waves rolled through.

The technique i was using was casting a big star sinker and grapnel sinker, rigged up the slider and sent it down followed by a couple minutes of light whipping of the 12ft rods in back and forth motions to try and get the bait closer to the sinker. I was slightly elevated on shore but not significantly.  

Does mono make a massive difference for the slider to achieve its purpose?
In very light swell conditions (by light i mean like a lake) i feel like it would work fine but the swell really stopped it from sliding all the way down.

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
-Chris

I have done a bit, recommendations would be:

- Use mono for where the slide will be running, braid can be used but I find mono slides better and less chance of a burn off if you get a hookup

- Get weighted (ie. with sinker attached to the slide), non return slides. You can make these pretty easily if you want - check youtube

- You need a good solid anchor so either paddle/swim something out (preferably before the sun goes down if you swim!) or use minimum 8oz (230g) grapnel sinkers for sand. Can get away with pyramids off the rocks as these grab in to crevices etc in the rocks but grapnels are a must for the sand and need to be heavy with solid wires. Let the grapnel set for 5-10 mins before sliding the first bait out

- If you use dead bait in swell you need to "whip it" for a fair while to get it out the back. Livies swim out a bit so offer some help but dead baits need a fair bit of work

Solid anchor point is critical - you really want it set so hard you nearly have to walk up the beach with locked drag to break it out. If its loose you'll never get your bait to slide out all the way. Need a decent size rod to chuck 8oz/230g a good distance as well.

I'm not expert but have dabbled a bit, only sharks to show for it so far.

thers guys catchin jew on Stockton all the time..i spoke to them and they are only using livies with the slide rigs..the livies are hooked in back near tail and slipped into surf on slide rig that way they swim out to the end of line..dead baits are harder and work better on a steep beach so you have some angle on the line to work with..hope this helps..rick

8 hours ago, Short said:

I have done a bit, recommendations would be:

- Use mono for where the slide will be running, braid can be used but I find mono slides better and less chance of a burn off if you get a hookup

- Get weighted (ie. with sinker attached to the slide), non return slides. You can make these pretty easily if you want - check youtube

- You need a good solid anchor so either paddle/swim something out (preferably before the sun goes down if you swim!) or use minimum 8oz (230g) grapnel sinkers for sand. Can get away with pyramids off the rocks as these grab in to crevices etc in the rocks but grapnels are a must for the sand and need to be heavy with solid wires. Let the grapnel set for 5-10 mins before sliding the first bait out

- If you use dead bait in swell you need to "whip it" for a fair while to get it out the back. Livies swim out a bit so offer some help but dead baits need a fair bit of work

Solid anchor point is critical - you really want it set so hard you nearly have to walk up the beach with locked drag to break it out. If its loose you'll never get your bait to slide out all the way. Need a decent size rod to chuck 8oz/230g a good distance as well.

I'm not expert but have dabbled a bit, only sharks to show for it so far.

Awesome, might have to put the braid onto another reel then.
The slides are baited and non return.

Seems like my problem is the mono, a heavier anchor point and letting it set for longer as well as using dead bait.

Thanks for the info mate, good write up.

8 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

thers guys catchin jew on Stockton all the time..i spoke to them and they are only using livies with the slide rigs..the livies are hooked in back near tail and slipped into surf on slide rig that way they swim out to the end of line..dead baits are harder and work better on a steep beach so you have some angle on the line to work with..hope this helps..rick

Yeah thats pretty much the sole reason i've purchased them.
Seems like livies are definitely the go.