Salmon and tailor

arthur06

Alright experts, taking a step away from my estuaries on Sunday, going on a very delayed trip to Avoca beach. Having second thoughts on my trip as I have no idea what to do at all. So far I know that I need to cast in gutters, and fish near the lake, according to Brew. I have a good 12' Saratoga surf combo and a shimano fish quest 6' combo for rods. Going for (as the title suggests) sambos and tailor, using bait only. What should I use for bait, rigs, times and tides. As for the latter, do they matter? Finally, any suggestions on hooks and leader line? Thanks

Bait: Pilchards on ganged hooks, between 3/0-5/0 depending on size of pilchards 

Tides: High tide. Definitely matters. Gutters can be very shallow during low tide, far too shallow for larger predators like salmon and tailor 

Times: Night and dusk for both tailor and salmon. Salmon can also be caught on dawn but rarely tailor in my experience 

Leader: 20lb fluoro is my go-to leader but you will be bitten off by larger tailor. 

Leave the 6' rod at home in preference for the 12' 

16 minutes ago, Regan said:

the salmon schools usually start biting a 4pm and through the night

i thought you could target them all day specially in morning have seen a guy catch a solid one at Avoca in the middle of the day

Awesome snaps of info guys, thanks. Any other baits/ rigs I can use? Also should I fish in the afternoon and early afternoon? I need clarification. I don't have gangs, are they completely nessesary? Thanks

Edited by arthur06

No, gang are not completely necessary. I have used double snelled hooks on whole pilchards with success. The problem with a pilchard is that it is a very soft bait (unless salted) so fish can rip them off the hook easily without a hookup if you use a single hook. The advantage of gangs is that the entire length of the pilchard has the potential for a hookup if the fish doesn't engulf the pilchard whole. A single hook may work on a half pilchard. 

I have only ever fished on the beaches for salmon/tailor during dawk, dusk and night because that's what the fishing guides all say are best but I know that people have certainly caught these species during the day, but I am fairly certain with less success. Maybe some other raiders may provide more clarification. 

In terms of rigs I have had success with  paternoster and running sinker rigs in the surf. I generally go for running sinker because I find paternosters get too tangled up with the surf constantly pounding them. 

Edited by Howdoweplaythis

To target Salmon and Tailor I reckon a simple rig is best. Ganged hooks with a full pilchard and a running (large) ball sinker, down to the hooks. This will cast well and there's less likelihood of the bait coming off before hitting the zone. It looks very natural and is very effective. Whilst these fish CAN be caught during the day, the low light periods on a (preferably) high tide is best. Unless the tide is dead low, you should still get fish in low light periods. Good luck, BN

3 hours ago, ARC H said:

i thought you could target them all day specially in morning have seen a guy catch a solid one at Avoca in the middle of the day

yes i have seen people catch them there in the middle of the day too,

but i have seen a LOT more people catch them from 4pm onwards

3 hours ago, Howdoweplaythis said:

No, gang are not completely necessary. I have used double snelled hooks on whole pilchards with success. The problem with a pilchard is that it is a very soft bait (unless salted) so fish can rip them off the hook easily without a hookup if you use a single hook. The advantage of gangs is that the entire length of the pilchard has the potential for a hookup if the fish doesn't engulf the pilchard whole. A single hook may work on a half pilchard. 

I have only ever fished on the beaches for salmon/tailor during dawk, dusk and night because that's what the fishing guides all say are best but I know that people have certainly caught these species during the day, but I am fairly certain with less success. Maybe some other raiders may provide more clarification. 

In terms of rigs I have had success with  paternoster and running sinker rigs in the surf. I generally go for running sinker because I find paternosters get too tangled up with the surf constantly pounding them. 

Would this work?

image.jpg

I use paternoster with two tales

Gang hook on bottom  with a full pilly and mustad bait holder  for the  top with the tail half of the pilly. Caught plenty of salmon in the day but never a tailor and as above you get more at night.  1609 onwards  is good as you have enough light to find a gutter for the long cold evening ahead. Id send out bits of any salmon in hopes of  jew or shark.

10 hours ago, arthur06 said:

Would this work?

image.jpg

Yes Arthur it will work BUT is not as strong as a 3 or 4 gang hook, where each hook is in the pilchard. Then there's the chance of getting bitten off by Tailor or other toothy critters with this rig. Gang hooks aren't expensive and a valuable tool to have in your tackle box.

Another good rig is, as Elferoz states, the paternoster with gang hooked pilchard on one dropper and a resilient bait like squid on the other single hook dropper. Get out and try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised. BN

2 hours ago, arthur06 said:

Thanks Neil, paternosters always tangle for me, how do I prevent this?

You really don't need to prevent it. Hungry fish will still take the bait with the hook in it, even if it's a bit tangled. However if you have the dropper short, or tie a few knots along its length, it will be more rigid and not tangle easily. METHOD: Tie your dropper  knots and put the hooks on...THEN tie a few knots evenly spaced along each dropper. Try it it works and won't AFFECT your catching Salmon or Tailor. BN