7-8ft rod for metals, plastics and lures

Mike89

I'm hoping to pick up a new outfit in the next few weeks. The setup will be for flicking lures, metals and plastics around wharves, beaches, and structure. I want the setup to be pretty mobile as I have a good metals rod for the rocks and surf beaches but at 10ft it is quite cumbersome to lug around and not as easy to move up and down. I also have a very light setup with a 1000 reel for flicking plastics but I would like something that will be better at handling the larger species such as salmon, jews and even kings.

I'm looking for something that can flick around an ounce at a length of about 7-8ft. I'd like a fast tip with a bit of bend for knife-jigging as well.

I want the rod to be light-ish around 4-6kg. The reel I'm likely to pair it with is a Daiwa Caldia in the 3000 size. I'm happy to fork out a bit of cash for this one as I want to get something pretty nice. That said, nothing ridiculous (over $350 for the rod starts to get ridiculous for me!).

Any suggestions?

I have had a look at Daiwa Generation Blacks but I'm not quite sure about this and want to look at a few more options before making a decision. I also don't really like the join at 1/3 of the length rather than halfway along.

Edited by Mike89

try looking at the samaki zing range i got mine at freddies for $130 definitely very nice rod guys at freddies loved them, also the samaki vanquish but probably  over $200  still a lot cheaper than $350 though 

1 hour ago, Regan said:

the shimano raiders are nice,

they are on sale at a shop for $96 from $129,

but that sale ends 4th

yeah there at B C  F

Edited by ARC H
Speling

Guest Guest123456789

The one in the store with the stiffest tip, most durable looking guides and durable and comfortable grips. And the butt can't be too long as to hit your guts when working the rod directly in front of you.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

I use shimano sonic pro 4-6 k and 5-8 for plastics, vibes etc delightful to fish with. Matched with sedona 2500 reels economic honest fishing rigs.

Edited by blaxland
rethink

22 minutes ago, blaxland said:

I use shimano sonic pro 4-6 k and 5-8 for plastics, vibes etc delightful to fish with. Matched with sedona 2500 reels economic honest fishing rigs.

ive had that combo awesome and good price

Blaxland I have a Sonic Pro as well, but instead of a Sedona I paired it with a Sienna.

Mike, if you want something a bit longer that you can also use to spin off the rocks, I'd look at a Starlo Jungle Stix. It's a 9', 60g cast weight and great light spin gear. I paired that with a 4000 Sienna with 10lb J-braid.

Cheers,

Wellzy

I know you're looking at options other than daiwa gen blacks but I do like the gen black shorehunter. 8.5ft, 4-7kg and a 5piece so great for travel. Cast weight 7-28g. Works fine with smaller metals and even mid sized hardbodies with a pretty stiff tip.

Innovator Nitro magnum butt with my caldia 3000 jdm 30 lb braid 30lb flouro , flick rooster poppers , plastics up to 50g for kings!

Light and Nearly bullet proof but I have been smoked ?quality gear and I have had mine for 7 years now no issue. 

Thanks guys for all the responses. I'll have to have a look into some of these rods when I get a minute (pretty busy as of late!).

Also had a chat with Derek this morning who provided some good pointers. Got his two thumbs up on the Raiders.

Cheers! I'll let you know when I have had a good look at these.

Some good advice from @flatheadluke!