Seals, whales, and a few nice fish off Sydney

saltrix

With a forecast of easing seas and a light westerly wind we headed out early, hoping to pick up some tailor or bonito on the troll.

sky-snd.jpg

Nothing doing on the troll around Dobryod and North Head but there was such a heavy swell we did not get too close to the rocks.  We saw the first seal as we rounded North Head, I think he checked us out to see if he could pinch a fish as we landed it. No photo as he just popped up took a quick look and was off.

Bottom bashed off DY for some ( 9) large bluespots and marbled flathead, a couple of 32cm reds and in between spikeys, us reds, seargent bakers and cuttlefish.

fsh-snd.jpg

Had another seal pop up after landing a fish, so moved a fair bit away from him to avoid losing fish.

Got the daylights frightened out of us when a whale surfaced alongside the boat while we were drifting., I mean really alongside I could have touched it and it was huge.  I grabbed my camera and got this shot of 2 of his mates about 30 metres away. The wake you can see in the photo  is from the first whale which surfaced about a metre from the boat. we were watching the whale watch boats about 1km away thinking there were none around us.

whls-snd.jpg

It wasn't just jiggerly today it was ****** rough, impossible to move around the boat without holding onto something. Got as bit better for a while about 10.30am then got really nasty about 11.30 so we headed in taking very steady and copping a few over the front.

Edited by saltrix

On 6/4/2017 at 9:11 PM, Wellzy94 said:

I was out today and saw a couple whales and a seal too!

The whales came so close and appeared so suddenly we lost gear from them!

Good feed there, too.

Cheers,

Wellzy

not good about the gear