It's more fun on the fly!

Luderick have always been my passion and so has fly fishing, of late I've just been going through the motions on the long rod and cemtrepin. With all the surface activity and a few trout trips I've got fly fever and the challenges it presents, well let's just say we had fun and it paid off! I'll let the pictures do the topic justice, but in brief found the luderick after a few lean trips and they liked the fly 11 fish in total all caught on fly by Myself and good mate Paul in the lower reaches of The habour. Enjoy.

IMG_2069.JPG

Excellent fishing! I have been trying for luderick lately (as I can walk to the spot ?). I've been using a weed fly and although I've been getting some downs, I have not connected yet! ? I will persevere though, as I do want to try the fly rod as well.

Congrats to you!

4 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

Luderick have always been my passion and so has fly fishing, of late I've just been going through the motions on the long rod and cemtrepin. With all the surface activity and a few trout trips I've got fly fever and the challenges it presents, well let's just say we had fun and it paid off! I'll let the pictures do the topic justice, but in brief found the luderick after a few lean trips and they liked the fly 11 fish in total all caught on fly by Myself and good mate Paul in the lower reaches of The habour. Enjoy.

IMG_2069.JPG

I'd be fascinated to learn more about your technique. It's interesting to me that they will come to the surface for a fly. Are there particular conditions, locations or environments where this works best? Do you still use burley? I have used flies as a substitute for weed in a traditional blackfish rig but never in this manner. Pretty intriguing.

Okay so they're not on the surface. I use a bead head weed fly leader is level 8lb fluro carbon length to suit the water depth minimum length I run is 9 feet on Saturday I was running a 15ft leader, I add an indicator to the leader and honk it. I use the NZ indicator tool system. I run a floating fly line. So essentially indicator numphimg technique. Works a treat. I have included a picture of the flys. 

IMG_2071.JPG

I've enjoyed this report and am very impressed at the quantity and quality of the fish.

I have a few weed flies lying around but haven't gotten around to using them. Are you using any berley or only the flies?