More success on the fly and a few on bait!

luderick -angler

Hit North Habour with Josh and one of his workmates today for a crack at the luderick down near the heads to see if they're running in. 

They did not disappoint the boys got 15 on the weed baits whilst I managed 6 on the fly again. Big numbers are starting to show amd it looks like it's shaping up for a good winter run. Kept 14 to share for a feed and happy days once more. 

IMG_2089.JPG

Where can you find weed? I've always struggled to find any in winter, but in the summer months it is everywhere. Kind of a cruel irony for me: luderick in winter, but the weed to catch them in summer. Any advice?

10 minutes ago, 8ron.davis said:

Where can you find weed? I've always struggled to find any in winter, but in the summer months it is everywhere. Kind of a cruel irony for me: luderick in winter, but the weed to catch them in summer. Any advice?

Look on the ocean rocks. And there's plenty of luderick over summer indict it's when I get my best catches 

2 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Look on the ocean rocks.

Yeah that's where I look - normally near Manly head. I have found previous winters that the string weed tends to die back in winter, and even the cabbage grows slowly so gets smashed pretty quickly.

I have to admit I don't do a lot of luderick fishing in the warmer months cause other species are biting, so I save them for winter, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

On 11/06/2017 at 7:20 PM, big Neil said:

Good result again Royce. When you say they are late moving in, what exactly does that mean? Are they in some sort of spawning run at present? BN

Mate normally they move into the estuaries to winter around late April early May. They fatten up develope the roe amd milk ready to run back to the entrances of rivers and bays to spawn either at the mouths or out in the ocean through the spring and sometimes early summer. They have been very late this year. Saying that some fish are already starting to get quite full milk sacks developed, no females as yet. It seems a lot of fish are out of whack this year. The Murray cod stayed on the chew quite late in the Macquarie system amd the trout look like they will run late this year. But that's nature you never can tell when she will do something different.

11 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

Mate normally they move into the estuaries to winter around late April early May. They fatten up develope the roe amd milk ready to run back to the entrances of rivers and bays to spawn either at the mouths or out in the ocean through the spring and sometimes early summer. They have been very late this year. Saying that some fish are already starting to get quite full milk sacks developed, no females as yet. It seems a lot of fish are out of whack this year. The Murray cod stayed on the chew quite late in the Macquarie system amd the trout look like they will run late this year. But that's nature you never can tell when she will do something different.

Thanks for that Royce. Mother Nature is always in control...I call it the x factor (the unknown factor). Cheers BN

1 hour ago, trigunner54 said:

Just wondering. When using  weed flies i need to burley still or not? And cant they tell its fake by smell. Thanks

Mate burley does help tune them in to feeding in both forms but I have found they are a visual feeder and when wet the dubbing feels like the real thing. But when they are aggressive and schooled up it does not seem to matter. I had one hit so hard the other day it stripped line through my hand on the take! They can be aggressive little buggers.