Broughton Island

Berleyguts

Took my son for a run to Broughton Island yesterday after a successful session with Scratchie last week chasing snapper on plastics. Left Little Beach ramp about 6 and stopped in at Cabbage Tree Island for live bait. I couldn't find them, Scratchie! Don't know what I did wrong! Headed for Broughton to the first place Scratchie showed me and did a similar drift, flicking plastics ahead of the drifting boat. Action was SLOW! I managed a Sergeant Baker and that was about it. Ben had a massive hit from a snapper, I saw the head shakes telegraphed down the Ugly Stik but the fished reefed him in seconds. I grabbed the rod to clear it and, "POP!!!", the rod snapped in half! It was a brand new Ugly Stik, too! I've never broken a rod like that before and I was very surprised for it to happen to an Ugly Stik. I took it back to the tackle store this morning and they don't think it's a warranty issue but are submitting to Shakespeare, so fingers crossed.

Ben got bored with lures and we switched to bait. Lots of small pinkies, often double hookups with flathead chasing them to the surface. I managed only the one legal snapper and we got 5 flathead between us. We then did a quick troll along the rocks, hoping for a Bonito and Ben got a huge Sergeant Baker on the X-Rap. Released that then he picked up 53cm bonnie.

The bonito made for yummy sashimi, my wife enjoyed a baked snapper and Ben let me have some of his battered flathead fillets.

Saw about 10 whales on the way back home. Magic day on the water and a feed. What more could we ask for!

Little Beach ramp looked a little dodgy at low tide, so I dropped Ben off to drive the car and trailer and meet me at Soldiers Point.

Sorry for the hazy photos. I think my iPhone lens is dirty or had it!

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4147.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

nice report

pain there were not man snapper around, where is scratchie when you need him

how big was the baker, caught heaps of them off terrigal a couple of days ago on the exact same xrap

14 hours ago, Regan said:

nice report

...how big was the baker, caught heaps of them off terrigal a couple of days ago on the exact same xrap

We didn't measure him but would have been over 50 I think. Bigger than any I caught but I understand they can get up to 60.

1 hour ago, Farvos said:

Lucky you. At least you got to be somewhere most of us are dreaming of. Good catch

Yeah, I still can't believe I'm living here in paradise now! Of course, I'll never make the big bucks I did in the city and I can't get full time work but, yeah, I'm living the dream!

Still dirty about that broken Ugly Stik, though!

Nice work Baz. I'm glad our trip gave you the confidence to get up there yourself. Still pick your days though! It's a beautiful place and I've still got a lot more areas to show you up there. Well done to you and the boy on your catch!

Cheers scratchie!!! 

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work Baz. I'm glad our trip gave you the confidence to get up there yourself. Still pick your days though! It's a beautiful place and I've still got a lot more areas to show you up there. Well done to you and the boy on your catch!

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Yeah, thanks again, Jeff! I'm heading to Broughton whenever the seas are good and I don't expect to have to punch back home into a southerly! Cruised up there at 22 knots on Friday! ? It was a tad cold for the young fella in the bow seat, though! ?

I've gotta get better at finding this live bait, though!

21 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

good onya baz  keep tryin for them reds mate..the results will come..im hopin to get up there next weekend..rick

Yeah, thanks, Rick... I'll persevere for sure! The young fella will take some convincing re plastics though. ? It's getting harder to sneak out without him though!

Would be good to fish with another boat in company but I've worked all this weekend and I'm working all the next 2 weekends as well. Still, I can go mid week and sometimes so can Scratchie! ?

If you are up when I'm heading out, my usual call sign is Sea Miner and I'm always monitoring VHF 16, so call me up!

Edited by Berleyguts

22 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

We didn't measure him but would have been over 50 I think. Bigger than any I caught but I understand they can get up to 60.

yeah ok mine was about 50cm