Breaming in estuary

arthur06

Hi guys,

I was looking for a reliable method to catch bream landbased in the estuary. Any rigs, baits or methods will be gratefully taken as I am failing to regularly catch bream without the help of eels taking my bait. Thanks

My bream rig is hook only or small ball sinker running to hook, whole prawn best bait but I have caught them on bread, beach worm, and cheese. yet to target them on lures but I hear spinner baits work and of course sp.

mainline then sinker then swivel then leader size 2 baitholder with mullet fillet or any fresh bait

with SP's grub prawn style 

always fish with a light leader preferably flurocarbon

my preferable bream rig is:

BAIT - small ball sinker with a small swivel then attached to a 8lb flurocarbon leader with a size 2 mustad big red hook. the fresher the bait the better (eg. mullet fillet, live prawns,etc.). if i can get my hands on a live prawn or nipper that is the go for me. also include a bit of burley, chuck some bread out on the surface and you could also chuck an unweight prawn into the bread trail.

SOFT PLASTICS - my go to softplastic for bream is a 2.5 inch zman grub in watermelon red. gulp shrimp also work a treat. with the grubz i prefer to hop the along the bottom slowly

HARDBODIES - my favourite lure for bream is the atomic hardz crank and atomic hardz shad. these lures are expensive but a very quality lure. if your fishing from a wharf cranka crabs are also very affective down beside the pylons

good luck

Edited by Regan

Lures around structure is the go i generally go hardbodies in the 40mm size I'll give you some better info in a day or 2 I'm currently in hospital with a back injury and I'll need a computer for typing up my long winded tips

1 hour ago, dirvin21 said:

Lures around structure is the go i generally go hardbodies in the 40mm size I'll give you some better info in a day or 2 I'm currently in hospital with a back injury and I'll need a computer for typing up my long winded tips

Hope you're soon on the mend Dave. Cheers, BN

On 09/07/2017 at 0:35 PM, arthur06 said:

Hi guys,

I was looking for a reliable method to catch bream landbased in the estuary. Any rigs, baits or methods will be gratefully taken as I am failing to regularly catch bream without the help of eels taking my bait. Thanks

first of all welcome to my obsession landbased breaming is my main fishing style and i still chant like a possessed highlander when I land a big bluelip. Can't help much with the bait side but luring i have some tips for you.

First of all bream are very very cunning and intelligent as far as fish go a they are long lived and ater 20-30 years surviving predators and fisherman they deserve respect

a quick mention on gear for luring you will need some braid i use 6-8lb and 8lb fluro leader you can go lighter or a bit heavier it is personal choice and find what works for you you will also need a nice light fast action rod plenty out there again find the one that suits you (you dont need to spend hundreds of dollars my combo cost $99 on a clearance special)

lures i use small hardbodies as previously mentioned Atomic Hardz a good value for money so are zerek tango shads as you get more confident branchout into ecogears and cranka crabs

scents are also worth using personally use sfactor but i'm sure they all work

find the areas that bream feed and everyone overlooks the best being mangroves and rocky edges at high tide that are impossible to bait fish if there is food and enough water to cover the fishes back they will  be there this is also a great area for surface poppers

rockwalls are another i watch landbased fishos send their lures out as far as they can its only in the zone right at their feet send your lure along the rockwall within 1-1.5m from the edge this is where the fish sit 

if you decide to cough up the dollars and buy cranka crabs then find a nice piece o standup structure like a bridge pylon of post land the crab within a couple of inches of said structure and let it free sink beside it just like a crab that has become dislodged watch your line for a take sometimes they will simply be one when you start winding in, this is one time you need to lock your drag and go hard 

hopefully theres enough info for you to get started 

I did promise a long winded response 

I'm hanging for a picture of your first lure caught bluelip

Dave