kayak fishing long reef

macbook

hi all 

Brand new to the forum but i have been kayaking for a while now and have mostly been fishing in middle harbour but i want to start fishing off long reef. Only problem is i got no idea what to expect or what to target. I went diving off long reef headland the other day and saw kingfish, salmon and snapper so should i be targeting them or should i look into targeting another fish. Also are there any safety consideration i should be making for fishing the area. Can u get live bait out off long reef or is it more of a lure fishing spot. I plan on a trip out on Tuesday and want to target kings with live bait and snapper with plastics but not sure if thats a good technique for the area. any help would be great and helpful. 

cheers macbook

Hello mate, 

I was off there yesterday afternoon on the yak. Only fished it twice, though.

There are plenty of pike around at the moment which might make good livebait, but you can also get get squid over the shallow reefs. A sounder is very helpful.

A small southerly swell is safest - easterlies make the launch hard (so I've been told). Watch yourself against the current - easy to get dragged out.

Soft plastics go well, but be prepared to snag occasionally. 

Also ran across a large shark yesterday - he was about 20 metres from me mucking about with something on the surface - and a whale passed through me and the boats. Pretty cool, just be aware that you're not in the estuary any more! If it's your first time offshore, I'd recommend going with someone.

In terms of where to go - about 1km off the point NNE is where most boats go. Just follow them.

Cheers

8 hours ago, Razzell said:

Hello mate, 

I was off there yesterday afternoon on the yak. Only fished it twice, though.

There are plenty of pike around at the moment which might make good livebait, but you can also get get squid over the shallow reefs. A sounder is very helpful.

A small southerly swell is safest - easterlies make the launch hard (so I've been told). Watch yourself against the current - easy to get dragged out.

Soft plastics go well, but be prepared to snag occasionally. 

Also ran across a large shark yesterday - he was about 20 metres from me mucking about with something on the surface - and a whale passed through me and the boats. Pretty cool, just be aware that you're not in the estuary any more! If it's your first time offshore, I'd recommend going with someone.

In terms of where to go - about 1km off the point NNE is where most boats go. Just follow them.

Cheers

cheers razzell, how did u end up going out at long reef the other day? 

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

if you dive take notice where you are seeing schools of yakkas then go that area in yak and burley with bread..rick

yer i was trying to find the yakkas but all i could find where pesky pike. 

Just launch right up in the eastern corner of fishermans beach where the old dinghys, winches and cleaning tables are. Should be right launching in pretty much any swell there. Can be a mean shoredump near the boat ramp.... have a look at some of the vids on youtube, its carnage.

No swell no wind is the safest and risk/discomfort goes up from there. So many variables and so many parts of long reef to give an answer.

I would say forget about it in any wind over 20 knots from any direction. Not necessarily dangerous but wouldnt be pleasant in a yak.

Aside from that walk up to the lookout right at the end, watch for 15 mins or so and make an assessment yourself.