Cowan and Hawkesbury 11 July overnight mixed bag

Itchin'faFishin'

Made the plan to launch at Brooklyn ramp and fish Cowan overnight hoping to catch hairtail. 

Launched at about 4:00pm and headed to Waratah Bay. Sunset was at 5:00pm. High tide at about 6:00pm. I used a public mooring in the bay and set up two rods with pilchard and chicken thigh, using flashing underwater attractors and my new yellow/green 12V 360 degree LED underwater light. Caught a 545mm Australian salmon, an 750mm shovel nosed ray and a 415mm flathead. No hair tail! The bite went quite by 10:00pm and by midnight I decided to bunk down for some sleep.

Awoke at about 5:30am and moved under first light to Flint & Steel but it was too lumpy and windy there. Tried over at Juno Pt but again with an occasional passing shower it was uncomfortable in the SW wind. Moved to the old rail bridge pylons back towards Brooklyn and there caught a 400mm tailor, 420mm flathead around an hour before the 10:30am high tide and my PB yellowfin bream at 395mm. Very happy with that. Best bait was pilchard cubes by far.

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

I forgot to mention that while at the old rail bridge pylons I also caught a 600mm jewfish on a half pilchard on a paternoster snapper teaser rig. My first of any size. Plenty of variety! Returned safely of course to grow to legal size next time.

The live yakka I had out with a hook through its nose wasn't so lucky. It came back in without a body behind its head. Tailor I presume.

Edited by peterbylsma

My kids like eating the shovel nose better than anything. Skinless fillets of the flanks deep fried in beer batter.  Can't believe I didn't try them earlier