Treating marine plywood

Blacky72

Hi all,

I've got to replace the flooring in my boat with a new piece of marine ply. Do I need to treat this with anything or can I just cut it to size, glue the carpet down and put it back in????

cheers

On 19/07/2017 at 4:54 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

I have always sealed any cut edges using bond-crete and then a coat over the whole thing, then its right to glue the carpet on.

One major problem with this-the carpet will now be glued to the bondcrete- the bondcrete will not remain adhered to the plywood in any sort of wet conditions at all as it has very poor water resistance- so the carpet will lift off- much better to sand the plywood to help the adhesive key into the timber before putting carpet on. There are epoxy sealers for marine ply that is continuously wet - go to a marine supplier but for a tinnie floor its probably not needed as long as you let the boat dry in the sun enough

I used a marine sealer called everdure (or evadure can't remember but its a 2 part product, little bit $$$). I used Form Ply (didn't have the $$ for marine ply at the time) for flat floors in my tinny over 8 years ago and coated it with this, then glued the carpet down.

The boat is left outside (covered, though still condensates) and the floors are still in perfect condition.