Northern Beaches

sam bros

G'day Raiders

A quick report from a couple days ago. Had a shift in the northern beaches so I thought it would be a good opportunity it to squeeze in a session before and after work. With uni starting again soon, I needed to take my opportunities as they come.

I focused on lures only in the morning at sunrise with a range of plastics and metals. Had one hookup but spat the hook. No fish, but it was a spectacular sunrise. Took a few videos of it and made a video.

After work fished pilcbards on a gang hook and surf popper. Just landed one flathead in the first hour. Next hour got one 50cm salmon off the ganged pilchard. All fish were released as I didn't want to do any cleaning.

Screenshot_20170731-113928.png

On 7/31/2017 at 4:43 PM, Regan said:

love the video mate + awesome sunrise

is that a surface popper?

did you use a drone for some of your video?

Thanks mate

Nah it's a metal lure, I was using a mix of halo twisties and surecatch raider

On 7/31/2017 at 5:40 PM, blaxland said:

Thanks for the report I think I have that exact outfit

Yeah it's a good little outfit 

Sonic pro 2-4kg 7ft with Siena 2500 using 6lb braid

I keep it in my car all the time just in case I have a chance to fish 

On 7/31/2017 at 5:41 PM, captain_cook said:

Nice catch.  I've found it to be a bit slow on the Northern beaches lately.  The odd fish here and there but not in big numbers.

Thanks mate

I was hoping for a bit more action 

I went again after work for 2 hours but didn't get anything 

On 7/31/2017 at 5:05 PM, ARC H said:

well done mate 

I have heard the rig you were using is simple but effective

Thanks mate

I pretty much use this all the time off the beach.

If I am targeting Jews then I'll use 2 snelled circle hooks 

1 hour ago, sam bros said:

Thanks mate

I pretty much use this all the time off the beach.

If I am targeting Jews then I'll use 2 snelled circle hooks 

yeah ok and it works pretty well for you?

15 hours ago, ARC H said:

yeah ok and it works pretty well for you?

Yeah i generally use the gang hook + surf popper rig for tailor and salmon 

Then when I catch one, I'll fillet it and throw it out on my other rod with the 2 snelled 7/o hooks for a jew 

Both rigs work well for what im targeting

I got out on the northern beaches on Friday at the evening high tide for about 2 hours - went ok with 2 tailor and a flathead, and one solid run that was pulling some serious drag when my knot broke.  I think the line was too old and getting a bit weak.  

fishing was on pilchards and gang hooks, and surf was fairly small, maybe 2 foot.

On 8/6/2017 at 8:13 AM, ginko said:

I got out on the northern beaches on Friday at the evening high tide for about 2 hours - went ok with 2 tailor and a flathead, and one solid run that was pulling some serious drag when my knot broke.  I think the line was too old and getting a bit weak.  

fishing was on pilchards and gang hooks, and surf was fairly small, maybe 2 foot.

Yeah it's been a bit quite lately

The beaches are usually filled with salmon this time of year

5 hours ago, fishsauce8 said:

awesome video mate. love it 

Thanks mate

Will be making more videos whenever I get the chance 

I have been slowly adding more camera gear to my arsenal so hopefully the videos get better

5 hours ago, Short said:

Yeah been a bit slow on the beaches lately, plenty of bronzies/duskies still around though.

I've actually never caught a bronzie off any of the northern beaches

I've only ever caught them off the central coast as by catch when targeting jews

Wouldn't mind catching them again though

def loads of bronzies on northern beaches - I caught 3 or 4 in one night when targetting jewies with yakkas.  

Fly fishos, who really look forward to the arrival of salmon, have also noted that the salmon haven't shown up yet.  My calendar has them coming in thick by the end of August.

We tangled with a ton of bronzies/duskies a couple of months back on the Northern beaches in one night session.  It was a lot of fun on light gear, im actually surprised you don't hear more about them as a beach sport fish.

A couple of weeks back I got bitten off by a tailor on 40lb FC Rock, hooked up on bottom snelled hook and rubbed right through the line!

If you want bronzies/duskies I know just the beach! Last few sessions I have had there was a hook up every cast.... on yakkas same as ginko.

Pillies didnt get a touch but yakkas got hit every time.

23 hours ago, ginko said:

Fly fishos, who really look forward to the arrival of salmon, have also noted that the salmon haven't shown up yet.  My calendar has them coming in thick by the end of August.

They were up the river as far as concord two weeks ago. Been around since may. Should be heading back to the heads soon if not already.